Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharps disposal >

Sharps disposal

Sharps disposal

Old 03-12-2024, 03:04 PM

Default Sharps disposal

I just found out if I put my used rotary blades and sewing needles in a sharps container, my local landfill will take them. Not only is it free, they will give me a new sharps container. DH and I drove there and sure enough, an easy exchange. It's all a part of keeping them out of the landfill. Worth checking out where you live.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:33 PM

I knew they took medical sharps in a container....I have been putting my used sewing needles in a container and taping it and also my used rotary blades in a container and taping and marking it,...but I haven't been bringing them to the medical sharps area...I will have to check further to see where they want them to go. Thanks...for the info.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:34 PM

That's good to know. I haven't had issues with recycling centers that do metal recycling refusing needles and rotary blades, but they usually just have a dumpster for you to toss your ferrous metals in, so they probably aren't handling them very much if at all.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:05 PM

I take mine with me to my Dr. appointments and dispose of them in their wall containers that they have in the examination rooms.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:42 AM

from an on line search. I've known about L.P. Sharp company's policy or some time but never knew about - Just Wright Sharpening. This method of disposal may or may not be practical for you...

Other disposal options include sending your used blades to a company that specializes in sharping scissors and blades.

Just Wright trades you a newly sharpened blade for your dull used rotary blade

L.P. Sharp Company replaces your used blades with new rotary blades.

Both businesses charge a fee plus shipping to them (both offer free return shipping with a minimum order). If you keep your dull rotary blades, you can put them back in the little flat container they came in and mail them in a bubble envelope to LP Sharp for recycling. By doing this, you’ll receive a hefty discount on new blade purchases!
Old 03-14-2024, 06:32 AM

I never throw away machine needles. I use them as wall hooks when needed....leaves only tiny hole when taking the item off the wall. They are very strong
Old 03-14-2024, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I never throw away machine needles. I use them as wall hooks when needed....leaves only tiny hole when taking the item off the wall. They are very strong
What a good idea, never thought of that. I use them on my bulletin board in my sewing room to hang photos and sewing instructions where I can see them while working at my machine.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:47 AM

I use a sharpie marker and write 'OLD' on a used blade and place it back in the snap container it came in. When all 5 are marked 'OLD', I tape the container shut and toss it. For pins and needles, I use a medicine bottle with the safety lid.