Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She shed or addition? >

She shed or addition?

She shed or addition?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM

If putting in a breezeway and redoing the stairs to your current studio isn't in the plans, then I would go with the addition. Wish fire code would be OK with a dumb waiter sort of set up for you. Maybe one of those stair chairs advertised for the older or disabled person would work.

You may be able to use the existing ac and heat source from your home. Or not.

Since I live down here in the desert I would go with a mother-in-law type casit a with solar tubes for additional lighting as it would positively affect the pricing with resale of the property. A shed, wouldn't help much at all.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Options: These really depend on your budget

Redo the staircase in the garage. Maybe a small addition to the garage will allow for a safer staircase.

Install an elevator in the garage.

Put a covered walkway to the garage.

Addition, probably most expensive, and most disruptive.

She-Shed, still have to go outside during the winter. Plumbing and wiring will need to be supplied, plus hook up to sewer/septic.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM

Ronie,
We could maybe give more suggestions if we knew whether your garage is attached or detached. I know out East attached garages are somewhat less common than here in the Midwest. If it's attached (or very closeby), I agree with those who've suggested either adding an interior entrance or a covered walkway. But when I think about some houses I've seen where the garage is located off an alley at the back of the lot, I can't help but laugh at the picture of this weird rectangular box running through the middle of your back yard to try and connect the house & garage/studio. I've seen it done a few times at this Colonial-inspired neighborhood with detached garages near where I grew up; it looks completely ridiculous ... not to mention the fact that it practically makes the home unsaleable.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:11 PM

I would do an addition over a shed. Another option would be moving a guest room from the house (if you have one) to over the garage and using the spare bedroom for a sewing room.

Tothill, an elevator would probably be more expensive than the whole addition. My husband looked into one for a builder he was doing work for and the cost were over $40,000 by the time it was installed.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Inside the house is best for me. A room I can walk into an close the door when I leave. If I had an outside shed I wouldn't feel like I was home.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:34 PM

look into the chair lift thingy for the stairs, and have an old fashion dumbwaiter to set things in that need to be hauled up and down instead of using the stairs. Easy Peasy, and you don't have to pack up your fabric

I've had two friends put in the stairs chair lift and it added years to how long they could comfortably use their upstairs and basements. Would be WAY less than a whole new room, unless money is no object. Only you know that.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 10-20-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM

If the stairs are the main problem, then perhaps a stair lift would work well for you. That's a lot cheaper than an addition.

Is the garage detached from your home? If so, and if it's not too far from the house, maybe you could put in an enclosed breezeway instead of a large addition. Put heated tile on the floors, an ac unit in a window, lots of windows and whatever else you want. Since it would connect to the house and the garage, you wouldn't have to go outside to get to the garage. If that's not an option, then perhaps you can just put an 36 inch wide enclosed walkway (with a few windows) to the garage.

Right now my DH and I are talking about making our dining room into a sewing room. That's where I do most of my sewing anyway, and it is not used for anything else.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Leah Day has a goodseries about building her shed. She also gives some good advise on heating, insulation and lighting.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM

I vote for the addition. I don't like to go out in bad weather and the rise of falling on snow or ice is not one that I want to take.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:16 PM

I vote to plan for the future. If you plan to grow old in your present residence, an addition makes the most sense. How long are you going to feel safe walking out to a she-shed? Add to that carrying things and especially in winter or wet weather. I have had knee problems and know that walking outside and climbing steps would render outside space totally unusable during flare ups and healing. Knee problems with replacements are not uncommon. Indoor space would be usable even with a wheelchair. Too often we fail to plan for future needs and circumstances. As a negotiating chip with hubby, I would certainly use the stair falls and almost falls.