Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She who dies with the most wins! But what about after? >

She who dies with the most wins! But what about after?

She who dies with the most wins! But what about after?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a deal with my cohort in quilting crime that whoever is left behind gets the others stash. We have advised our nonquilting friends and family of the same
Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 AM
pal

I belong to a few different charitable groups, and advise them not to buy anything until they ask me first. My policy "You need it? I got it!" It feels so good to give and see my stuff used while I'm still here.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 AM

It is so interesting reading all the responses to my post! I am always warmed by the fact that quilters are some of the nicest people in the world - if only everyone could help as much as quilters do!!!
But the bottom line is that we should always be prepared!!! (I was a girl scout!!) We owe it to our family, our quilting friends and our coworkers to have a place for our quilts, WIPs and UFOs figured out before we pass!
Does anyone have a template or form for quilt projects that you could put in your bag, plastic container - whatever you use for quilting, so that you could keep track of materials, patterns, intended receipients, things that have to be done etc? Seems to me all of us could use more organization in our lives!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM

So sorry for your lose. A few years ago I had to ''put my house in order'' as they say. My sewing room and all its contents were to be taken to the ''Church Ladies'' my MIL's group of sassy senior quilters. The quilts they made were sent to so many people in need. They even raffled off quilts to raise money for the area's Senior Centers. Now that I've moved here with my family I have no one that sews to forward my collection to-so I stopped buying fabric and machines and am trying to make as many things as I can to forward finished projects to as many loved ones as I can while I'm here to see them enjoy them. I'm happy to say that my stash is dwindling at a steady pace.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 AM

I have four daughters and only one has expressed any interest in learning to quilt (we are working on it, but she has two very young children).....so she will get the contents of my sewing room.....one of the others will get the quilts I have finished.....another gets my rings.....and the last will get anything from the house.....it is very hard to keep things fair, but I have distributed as I feel necessary.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM

You are so right,I have known a friend who was a quilter, and when they died suddenly, the family, who had very little contact and less interest in what they had quilted over the years, just disposed of everything without even letting other quilting friends know funeral arrangements etc. We would all have loved to say goodbye and have kept some of her work to remember her by, never given the chance! If you make a will it is so easy to say what you would like to happen to quilts and fabric. I made a doll several years ago , like a quilter, with rolls of fabric scissors etc, named her after this lady, she sits in my sewing room and keeps dear Daphne in my mind always,
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM

it goes to my BFF or to the Goodwill. Hubby knows.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM

I have told my sister, who is the executrix of my will, what to do with my fabric etc. Also I have a folder in My Documents on my computer labeled Final Instructions. Tells who gets what, etc.

Just so it doesn't get thrown out. or burned, uggh, now I am gonna have nightmares about that....
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM

The other problem besides the quilts, and fabric is that some people can't even talked about what if something happens to me. They don't want to make their final plans period. I know in my family they thought it was too morbid, but my grandma use to tell me what she wanted, and when her final end came, I made everyone aware of what she wanted, and we did it. We also knew what a quilting friend wanted done with her fabric, but her daughter threw it all away. She didn't want to deal with it.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

My condolences on the loss of your BFF and I can only express shock at what the husband did with her fabric, maybe he was angry with her for dying and chose this method to vent, but it would have been so much better to have distributed her "stash" where I'm sure she would have wanted it. Another good reason to make some kind of plan for our passion.