Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheets as fabric?

I have seen a few people on here say they use sheets as quilting fabric.

Are there any reasons why you shouldn't?

I have the most fantastic sheet just sitting there - its never been used. Its fantastic quality - but I bought the wrong size. I always had the intention of selling it on ebay - because its designer kids manchester so I'd get a fair price for it. But it would actually be just fabulous in kids quilts. Its 100% cotton.

What do you guys think?

Blog Entries
    I don't see why you can't use it in the quilt or even for the backing as alot of people do that.

As backing - what a great idea. I hadn't thought of that!! Thanks!

I have used them for backing lots of times.

blueangel - do you find it is just the same as quilting fabric - or is it a bit 'lighter' if you know what I mean?

I would go with backing -- sheets are denser (more threads per inch) so it might be an issue if you are hand quilting, but you should be OK if you are machine quiltilng.

Blog Entries
    one of the reasons (traditionalists) say to not use sheets is because of the thread count- sheets tend to have a higher thread count than the fabrics we (normally) use for quilting- and can be a bit more difficult to stitch-
    especially if hand piecing or quilting- but more and more people are using them- it is your project- you can use what ever you want- no one even needs to know it was a sheet-
    but if you are going to do hand work- be prepared for it to be a little more difficult

Blog Entries
    Go for it! I dont thunk LA will allow them but if u quilt yourself it doesn't matter!

Blog Entries
    I have used them a lot too - it's a great deal cheaper.

I say, Why not. Go for it.

Blog Entries
    If you are planning on having it long armed by someone else, check first as some will not use them, otherwise go ahead!

Blog Entries
    I use sheets a lot of the time, especially flannel. Had bought some in New York at a sheet outlet and they worok great for backs. cheaper and already to put on the back. I tie mine so no problem there.

I use sheets all the time and my LA'er friend has absolutely no problem with them. In fact she likes them as there's no seams to twist and her machine just powers through them. I machine quilt on my old Singer 201 or Janome 6500 and they don't complain either. Sheets wash and wear well and don't bleed. I can buy a flat queen sized sheet for less than $10 if I look and save my $ for the stuff I need to show on top of my quilt!

Blog Entries
    I am not a LAer so I am curious. Why don't they like to use sheet fabric. If their needle is the right size what difference does it make? Will watch for answer. Thanks.

I used a sheet once on one of the first quilts I made. It was difficult to hand quilt and I have never been happy with that quilt. It is stiff and does not drape like other quilts.

I've used them only once ... and saw no difference. They may be a bit "denser" but they wash well (of course) and lay flat.

For years women in our area bought two bed sheets, one in a design and one solid and tied them to make quilts. Tying them might be easier than hand quilting the set and they turn out perfect.

Carol J.

No higher than a 250 thread count, it makes quilting difficult, can cause skipped stitches, rips in fabric. Just a word of caution from someone who uses sheets for backings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I am not a LAer so I am curious. Why don't they like to use sheet fabric. If their needle is the right size what difference does it make? Will watch for answer. Thanks.
    Because they dont want to buy several types of needles. The finer needles break easier and could jam up the machine, causing timing issues, repair costs. Those machine cost thousands and they dont like taking the chance.

Blog Entries
    Difficult for hand quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    No higher than a 250 thread count, it makes quilting difficult, can cause skipped stitches, rips in fabric. Just a word of caution from someone who uses sheets for backings.
    I didn't understand, do you mean you need to use a sheet with a higher than a 250 thread count or you need to use one with a lower than 250 thread count.

With cloth so expensive one can usually pick up some sheets at the thrift stores for a good price. They are soft and feel so good..

Thanks for the information.

According to my longarming mentor, it's because it can also cause wicked tension issues. I didn't have a problem when I tried it, but that may have been beginner's luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Go for it! I dont thunk LA will allow them but if u quilt yourself it doesn't matter!
    I used one as a quilt back and quilted it on my LA with absolutely no problem. Sheets wear like iron-they might out last the rest of the quilt.

These are the sheets I'm talking about. Deffo not cheap - but so cute and would save me the effort of selling them on ebay....
    http://www.cuddleskidsbedding.com/retwshset.html

Now I am confused. I would think the higher the thread count, the better the material. But you say NO HIGHER than 250 thread count? Can you give me an idea what the average GOOD cotton quilting material thread count is then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast