Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheets

Ok experienced friends... what's the advice on using sheets? I have a gorgeous coral one from Company Store. Used to line some fabric bags but wondering about the scraps...

you all are great, BTW!!

Cut them up, piece with them, use them as a thin batting, or use them as backing. Just like with any other fabric, you are limited only by your imagination. Have fun and enjoy, never be afraid to experiement.

Blog Entries
    If using fabrics that typically do not shrink, I would just prewash any others that might when mixing them :wink:

Pam
    I usually use sheets as the backing especially for baby quilts due to the hard wear and tear. If you hand quilt you may find them difficult to quilt through.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I use them for backing too.

Thanks!!

They are hard to hand quilt.

I'm glad someone asked that question. I haven't used one yet, but had considered it. Most of my baby quilts (winter ones) had flannel as backing.

Blog Entries
    Because of the tight weave, I would think they might be tough to quilt through, but I've never tried to do it.

I like them for backing, but I machine quilt. I have heard they are hard to hand quilt.

I use them for backing and do not have a problem hand quilting them.

It is just another piece of fabric.

In my opinion, they are hard to sew because they ravel so badly. I made a quilt top and back for a customer using only sheets and never again!!!!!!

I know the long arm quilters in my area do not like them.

My preferance is 108" wide backs - no sewing involved and if you keep and eye out you can find it on sale. I like fabric.com sales on both backings and regular quilting fabric.

I like sheets for backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I use them for backing and do not have a problem hand quilting them.

It is just another piece of fabric.
    I agree! have both hand and machine quilted sheets - as backing - had no problems!!

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I BENT a needle or 2 per day when I hand quilted using a sheet............NEVER AGAIN. However I don't know how it would be machine quilted.

Banned
    I use sheets for backings all the time. I bought up a ton of flat sheets from Target a while back and they are wonderful and cheap.

Plus I am making a quilt right now from lightly used sheets bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks. It is going together wonderfully and the backing will be another sheet. But I machine piece and quilt with a treadle.

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sheets are good for anything you want them for, I've machine
    pieced and hand quilted and they gave me no problem at all :D

If hand quilting I think the cheaper cotton sheets work better than the tightly woven high count cotton sheets. The higher count makes it harder to hand quilt.

I only use sheets for my backing.. I love that they are all one piece. And now a days they come in so many colors. I have never had a problem hand quilting with them.

A longarm quilter won't like them. Right Shelley? :thumbup:

Personally I have used sheets as backing as well. It's everyones personal preference. No quilt police as I have read many times; so just DO it!

I use (almost always) sheets for backing. I longarm quilt on a Tin Lizzie and have never had a problem, even with high thread count sheets. I put a new needle in my machine often. I use a sheet that is big enought to tear off all sides to square the sheet before I start. I have also heard that professional longarm quilters don't like sheets for backing, I don't know why.

From what I have read the tight weave of the sheets causes the needle to pierce the fabric whereas the looser weave of quilting fabric allows the needle to separate the threads and not make a hole. It is harder to hand quilt using a sheet as a backing tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I use (almost always) sheets for backing. I longarm quilt on a Tin Lizzie and have never had a problem, even with high thread count sheets. I put a new needle in my machine often. I use a sheet that is big enought to tear off all sides to square the sheet before I start. I have also heard that professional longarm quilters don't like sheets for backing, I don't know why.
    i think that when a longarmer is quilting for someone else, she uses what she's given. personally, i find that the high thread counts get pierced and the sheet threads are torn instead of the needle slipping between them. those holes are a good place for wear to start. next time you look at really good sheets, take a look at the sewn hemmed edges. if the sheet is a color, you can see where the needle holes have been left. on the edge of the sheet is doesn't matter, but on the whole surface of a quilt, i wouldn't do it. but if you look at a high count of very soft cotton, say egyptian, you won't see it. a looser weave allows a space for the needle to slide through without causing damage to the fabric. i grew up with 120 count -they were called muslin sheets-and they worked fine. i would definitely use those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast