Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shifting Batting and other woes... >

Shifting Batting and other woes...

Shifting Batting and other woes...

Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Default Shifting Batting and other woes...

Hi
I have a quilt in a Grace EZ3 quilt frame (which I would never recommend because it is awful!) and am having some trouble. The quilt has 5 rows of 4 blocks per row. I have completed the quilting on two rows and as I roll the quilt am noticing the batting is starting to drift to one side, and I am afraid I will end up w/no batting on one side before I get to the end of the quilt. Also, the backing fabric is so loose on the edges that I am getting rumples in the back as I quilt the border. I am so disgusted w/this frame but I have to finish this quilt on it now unless there is any way to take it out of the frame and put it in a different one.

Any suggestions as to how to correct the batting drift and backing issues? Would it be unwise to switch to a different frame, or is that even possible?

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

This almost sounds like the batting wasn't loaded square to begin with. Was this a prepackaged bat or cut from a roll? If cut from a roll the cut may not have been straight, if prepackaged it may have been wonky on the end you lined up with your top. Or a wrinkle in the batting may have gotten quilted in. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this frame so i can't offer any ideas for a solution. You may be able to work in a wedge of batting if it continues to go so off kilter you won't have any batting in one side as you progress. The quilting should hold it in place .

As far as your backing being loose on the sides that is also an indication the backing was out of square when loading. Do you have any way to attach side clamps to this frame? This may help hold the back a bit tauter for you.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Is it loaded with backing & top separately with the batting floated between? If its loaded as one unit I would say you need to unload and baste well, if it is loaded one piece at a time you should be able to tighten up the backing, smoothing it, then use clamps on the sides to keep them from flopping. Is the backing one piece or pieced? If pieced it is often recommended to have the seam horizontal so it lays flat along the take up bar, when it is vertical it builds up 4-layers of bulk with each turn of the bar making the center big & the edges floppy. As for the batting... Each time you are going to advance the quilt you should be loosening the front ( side you are unwinding) tug on the batting, pulling it straight, wrinkle free, then tighten the backing, checking backing and batting that all is straight, smooth and wrinkle free, then tighten and smooth the top
Old 02-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I agree that the batting issue is probably that it wasn't loaded on the frame square, or it developed a pleat as you advanced it. The batting should be cut several inches larger than the quilt top just for this reason. If easing it over as you advance the quilt doesn't help, you can add a wedge at the end. Remove the bottom portion of the quilt from the frame, butt the new piece of batting against the original one and whip stitch. Another thing is as you advance the quilt, smooth it by hand and run a row of basting stitches down the sides before you start quilting the center. If the ends are really loose & floppy, it may be the backing isn't square or you are putting a much denser quilting design in the center.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:59 PM

I learned a little trick from a professional longarmer. If the outside edges start to get floppy, he inserts a ruler, or a dowel, even a pencil without a point, into the quilt, on the floppy side or both sides, as he rolls it onto the top roller. Just a short piece. It takes up more room as you roll and tightens up the sides. As for the batting, I would gently tug it over with each turn. There is give in the batting. Good luck. Ann
Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I cut the batting and it is floating between. I wondered about trying to add a piece if necessary, glad to see that is an option...maybe I won't have to go there. As for the back I can't remember if it was vertically or horizontally pieced, but considering my problem is just as described, I guess vertically. The middle does not seem bulky, but the ends are very floppy.

Thanks again for the help, will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Jenna
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Ann
The pencil trick sounds like a good one for me to try, my question is what would be the "top roller" on the frame I am using? It has 3 bars, top for the quilt top, middle for the backing and batting, and bottom for all three, after quilting is completed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Ann
The pencil trick sounds like a good one for me to try, my question is what would be the "top roller" on the frame I am using? It has 3 bars, top for the quilt top, middle for the backing and batting, and bottom for all three, after quilting is completed.
She is referring to your take up roller. The roller where all 3 finished layers are going. Insert a dowel of some sort, or even an extra hunk of batting, a washcloth, rags, towels, anything to take up the slack in your sides. As you roll up (advance) the quilt you would put this excess space taker upper (yes that is a technical term! ) in the side areas just to take up the slack. Clear as mud?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Feline Fanatic
I understand what you are saying, but do I only do that once, and the dowel or whatever I use stays there until the quilt is out of the frame? Going to give it a try.

Thanks,

Jenna
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM

I frequently use a fat quarter to help adjust the tension in a particular part. I take them out when I roll up the quilted part, then stuff them in wherever I need them.

I've never run out of batting, but I have had to piece a bit of extra backing fabric because I didn't roll the backing on right.

Janet