Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shimmering Triangles pattern, anyone? Not the Craftsy one :)

Shimmering Triangles pattern, anyone? Not the Craftsy one :)

Hi all. Does anyone know a shimmering triangles quilt pattern? The one from Craftsy evidently is confusing, as per the reviews. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Thank you in advance!!

Happy long weekend!

That is Jenny Bowker's original pattern. She is active on her FB group and could probably clear up any questions you have about the pattern. I have not ordered it, but I understand it is quite lengthy and includes a lot of pictures and suggestions for making the color transitions successful. Are you asking for "lookalikes" for her pattern, or another pattern with the same name?

Thank you. I might actually check out her FB group. It didn't get great reviews so I was wondering if anyone had seen it simplified. Thanks again!

That's a gorgeous pattern. May have to research it some more.

Watson

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Looks like the old Corn & Beans pattern with specific color placement. Instead of differing fabrics coming together to form an hour glass, she uses the same fabric to form a square.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

It's beautiful! More info for your pattern and helpful tips. Good luck!

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ad.php?t=54767

Blog Entries
    I always take reviews with a grain of salt - everything is so relative. We don't know the skill level or organizational abilities of the reviewers. My first thought when reading the reviews is that I would take a highlighter to the instructions of the version of the quilt I wanted to make. I agree with contacting the quilt designer. Can't wait to see yours!

I made this, but did not use a pattern as it's rather simple. The hard part is keeping it all straight so you get the correct colors next to each other. I wanted mine to blend so I fussy cut my fabric. I also did not like the four fabrics in every other solid, so did it in rows instead of blocks. I have been collecting fabric since to do another.

Last edited by Macybaby; 05-26-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Here's a block layout I found online.

Fabric placement is critical to get the right effect.
    Jane

Very pretty, Macy.
    Jane

Here is what I did. I laid out my fabrics so I knew what color when next to each other, then cut out 8.5" blocks. I had a lot of Kaffe Fasset fabrics, and they have large bold prints so I use that to help blend from one color to the next.

Then I made a pieced block that uses the fabrics from the four blocks that would line up with it.

The pieced block is simple. the HST are 2.5 unfinished, the FG is 2.5*4.5 and the QST is 4.5" When you sew them together, you have a 8.5" unfinished block. Then I sewed them into strips, and sewed the strips together. I used half blocks on the edges, except I ran the fabric into the corners instead of using a different one there.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

You gals are amazing. And that quilt is gorgeous! I'm excited. Thank you so much and I'll keep you posted!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here's a pageful of pictures of this quilt. Very interesting.
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.cg4VNBaA0mU
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I made this, but did not use a pattern as it's rather simple. The hard part is keeping it all straight so you get the correct colors next to each other. I wanted mine to blend so I fussy cut my fabric. I also did not like the four fabrics in every other solid, so did it in rows instead of blocks. I have been collecting fabric since to do another.

I love your quilt using this pattern.
    I agree on the actual blocks. I took a look and it's just squares and HST for the actual blocks.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine