Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shipping fabric

i called the post off office and they said

8 x 5 x 1.........12.95

11.5 x 8 x 4 ....41.94

14 x 12 x 3 .....41.95 (different shape, duh)

12 x 12 x 5 .....53.95

20 pound max on all sizes that you can stuff things in. 6 - 10 days.
    flat rate priority box. no charge on the box. international.

did they change their rates or did i speak to a dodo?

which is the best shape do you think?

If you know the weight of your package, you can go to USPS.com and calculate postage. The same is true of UPS.com and FedEx.com

sharon, i called fedex and ups and they wanted over $100 for the same thing that our post office wanted $41.95 for. the difference is unbelievable. ups wanted three dollars less.

on that issue, i went back to the post office, and the girl i first spoke to was, indeed, a dodo! the real price was this: $12.95 for under 4 lbs, which someone here said. $41.95 for up to 20 lbs, which is so much yardage that you can't possibly reach that poundage. the box is about 12 x 8 x 4. you can't believe how much that holds! and it still didn't reach **10 lbs**. NOTHING IN BETWEEN. if you want something in between,you make your own package and you lose the flat rate. i filled the 20 lb box as a test and now i will measure out the yards.

my arms will fall off before i finish. i will let you all know how much.

i'm ba-a-ack!

okay....one box 12 x 8 x 4 (approximate) from the post office, is allowed to take 20 pounds. if you stuff, stuff, stuff as much fabric as you can, you can get 33 yards and 21 inches. that's with a LOT of stuffing. does anyone know what that amount looks like? to me it looks like mt. mckinley.

flat rate overseas priority 6 - 10 delivery days, $41.95.

you're allowed 20 pounds. this much weighs less than half that. oh, plus the weight of the box.

that makes this $1.23 per pound to ship overseas. more or less. my math has never been that great.

if you're being paid in other than usd, wire transfers as well as bank checks cost $10 +/- conversion fees. those connivers.

for the price that fedex wanted, i could have flown, standby, to europe myself and delivered. of course, i couldn't get home. anyway, i am thinking australia or thereabouts.

go to the www.usps.com web site and enter the country, weight, etc to get a shipping quote by each shipping service. you can also fill out the duty forms for customs. Be sure to designate the item as a gift or the recipient will be hit for customs duty.

you could also try fedex.com but for international I've found the USPS to be the cheapest. They have a flat rate international box you can pickup at the post office, but check you own packaging and choose the cheapest. The first $100 insurance is included in some shipping options, so before buying additional insurance be sure to read the details

thanks for posting on this. i have going craaaaazy doing my homework. please read my last post. aaaaargh!!!!!

I JUST SHIPED A BOX TO CANANDA. UPS WAS CHEAPEST. JUST MAKE SURE U SAY ITS A GIFT OR THEY HAVE TO PAY CUSTOMS . WHICH IS EXPENSIVE FOR THEM. I THINK FLAT RATE IS JUST FOR STATES.

the guy told me it was for all over and he gave me the customs forms to fill out and went over them with me. it's really ALL you can smush in there for a flat rate. they don't care what you put in there as long as it's not over 20 pounds. it would have to be lead to weigh that much. think of potatoes!

go to www.usps.com for any mailing information in the states or international it's the post office website

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    okay....one box 12 x 8 x 4 (approximate) from the post office, is allowed to take 20 pounds. if you stuff, stuff, stuff as much fabric as you can, you can get 33 yards and 21 inches. that's with a LOT of stuffing.

flat rate overseas priority 6 - 10 delivery days, $41.95.

you're allowed 20 pounds. this much weighs less than half that. oh, plus the weight of the box.

that makes this $1.23 per pound to ship overseas. more or less. my math has never been that great.
    I never got to the post office to pick up the smaller box. However, I got the dimensions of the two boxes off the USPS site and, based on the information you provided about the large box, made the following calculations for the small box:

The small box would hold (theoretically, at least) 4.5 yards of fabric, which would be just a little over one lb. The weight limit on this box is 4 lbs, so there's no way you could overstuff it with fabric.

International postage for the small box is $12.95, so shipping cost per yard is $2.87. Although the shipping cost per yard is higher than for the large box, I'm thinking that customs is more likely to believe a gift of 4 yards of fabric over a gift of 33 yards of fabric. That much fabric, especially since it costs so much in the receiving country, would look more like a commercial venture.

I am wondering if we can set up some kind of buddy system for our quilters overseas who have difficulty finding reasonably priced fabric. I'm about an hour's drive away from a cut-your-own fabric warehouse. Most of the batiks there are Timeless Treasures, which has a slightly thinner hand than Bali/Hoffman/etc., but there must be a couple of hundred different ones and they are *gorgeous*. I bought 10 yards for myself last time I was there, and it would be fun to shop for someone else. The hardest part, I think, would be trying to specify colors and print types. I could cut off pieces of my yardage to send in an envelope for samples, but I couldn't send 200 samples!

i am near a fabric clearance center where you don't cut your own. but 2x a year they sell their stuff for $2.00 a yard. usually it's $.400. the way i figure it, the big box costs about $1.23 per yard to ship to new zealand (that's where i would be shipping). that includes the weight of the box. plus of course the cost of the fabric.

they have a lot of timeless treasures as well as the occasional red rooster, rj fabrics, etc. at the quilt show today, saturday, i saw cutesy fabric of half-naked construction workers for $9.95 that i saw two weeks ago for $4.00 reduced to $2.00. no ladies, i did not buy any. sorry.

so there is a big selection.

33 yards counts as a gift to a country where fabric is expensive. they don't know if this your sil, after all. how can they know what's a gift?

I have sent other merchandise to Canada via fedex and if I did not specify gift and the recipient did not pay the duty I was invoiced by fedex for the duty - which made the deal very not profitable.

fedex and ups are the most expensive way to sent internationally. they laughed at me in the post office. the package that you can send for $41.95 via usps costs $111.23 by fedex and $114.29 via ups. do you believe that? i couldn't either. also, canada is not overseas. once it crosses an ocean, forget it. :shock: :shock:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i am near a fabric clearance center where you don't cut your own. but 2x a year they sell their stuff for $2.00 a yard. usually it's $.400.
    That's a lot better than the fabric warehouse here where it's normally $6.99 a yard. Sometimes they have a 20% off sale, but I can't always get out there during those sales. Sometimes the place is so packed during sales that it's not as much fun to shop too.

there's no free lunch, of course. when my place has it's semi-annual, the place is like a sardine can and you have to pick through. but patience is rewarded, and most of the sewers are not quilters, so they don't choose the same fabrics.

also i think that everything they sell here is discontinued. soooo?
    they're not making my model anymore, either. the fabric is already cut in 4-yard cuts, but that's a good amount to share. 2 yards each. i have an ongoing stash and can use pieces this size for fronts and then for mixed cloth backs that match the front, and people overseas can build stashes with larger pieces. or they can share with their quilting guilds if they want to.

I ship things to South Africa and the best way is to use those flat padded envelopes.

those are a really good buy for weights up to 4 pounds.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I just got back from being away and saw this thread; I want to say publicly what a wonderful lady butterflywing is because this package was for me!!!

I feel kind of humble that all this discussion about how to get the package to me was going on and I was oblivious to how much trouble she was taking!

The fabric is beautiful - farmyard panels and coordinating fabric and yes, I already have several projects in mind! There were also some lovely animal stickers that the children are as I speak busy making into collages!

And completely my thing as we home produce most of our meat (pork and chicken) I know we're not supposed to get political but animal welfare, especially in farming is something I feel strongly about (mods - feel free to edit me out if I'm out of line!).

So thank you, thank you, thank you butterflywing, from the bottom of my heart, for your kindness and the care and effort you've gone to on my behalf:D

K x

I've never had any problems shipping packages to other countries and the people I send them to haven't told me of any problems they have encountered. I send ALL the things in Flat Rate Boxes. I always check GIFT on the Customs Label, and I put down that what's inside is Fabric, then put a price of $50 for the entire thing.
    I've shipped to Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Canada, England, Thailand and Singapore. No one I have sent to has had a problem, that I know of. I send straight thru the Post Office.

great. my feelings exactly.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Butterfly, thought you'd like to see my kids' artwork with those stickers!

Love K x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    I am a New York girl living in Argentina. I buy material over the internet all the time or mail to my family when a site does not do international shipping and they mail to me. The cheapest way is US Post Office. You can fit up to 10 yards of material in a International Bulk Rate, envelope. That costs around $12.00 US dollars. The next up is a Bulk Rate box, that fits a small quilt or up to 20 yards of material for about $23.00 US dollars. Make sure you label as a gift because if you don't who ever picks up the package will have to pay customs for the value of the product. Here anything over $25.00 US dollars I have to pay 50% of the value of the item. YUCK!!
    I hope this helps.
    Penny

the small flat rate box is $41.95. it holds 20 lbs or 33 yds +/-.

when they got through laughing at me, the post office told me that the flat envelope could only take up to 4lbs. maybe they changed the rules since your last shipment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyswings
    You can fit up to 10 yards of material in a International Bulk Rate, envelope. That costs around $12.00 US dollars. The next up is a Bulk Rate box, that fits a small quilt or up to 20 yards of material for about $23.00 US dollars. Make sure you label as a gift because if you don't who ever picks up the package will have to pay customs for the value of the product. Here anything over $25.00 US dollars I have to pay 50% of the value of the item.
    I looked up Argentina to make sure. The flat rate envelope and small flat rate box are the same postage cost ($12.95). The weight limit for both is 4 lbs. When I weighed my fabric, 4 yards weighed about 1 lb so theoretically you could send 16 yards of fabric in the small box. However, based on butterfly's test of how many yards could fit into the regular box, I calculated the most you could stuff into a $12.95 box would be 4.5 yards. If the flat rate envelope can hold up to 10 yards of fabric, that would be a better deal.

The regular box is the next size up, and that's the one that costs $41.95 postage and butterfly stuffed 33.5 yards of fabric into.

A bulk rate box may be a different category than the flat rate box we are talking about. What we are looking at is "Priority Mail International" flat box rates. Here is the USPS website excerpt for Argentina:

Priority Mail International Flat Rate

Flat-Rate Envelope or Small Flat-Rate Box: $12.95
    May contain items that may be sent as First-Class Mail International. The maximum weight is 4 lbs.

Flat-Rate Boxes: Regular $41.95; Large $53.95
    Merchandise is permitted, but written communications having the nature of current and personal correspondence are not permitted. The maximum weight is 20 lbs. or the limit set by the individual country, whichever is less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast