Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shipping quilts across U.S.A. >

Shipping quilts across U.S.A.

Shipping quilts across U.S.A.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

I use USPS Priority Mail and would use Signature Confirmation on a quilt or anything else of value.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM

I always use UPS. It may be a little more expensive, but you can always track it.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

i send out tons of quilts every year- i use priority mail-insurance and delivery confirmation.
works great for me
Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 AM

Make sure you have a label securely sewn on the quilt with your name, address and any other contact information. Put the quilt in a plastic bag - I prefer clear ones so it doesn't get confused with the garbage. Also tape your name and address to the plastic bag.

Make sure your box is sturdy, large enough to hold the quilt when it's folded, and securely tape it shut. Make sure the label is securely taped in place - I put clear tape over it. Don't mention the word "quilt" on the package - some folks claim that's an invitation to theft.

Keep your receipts for fabric, thread and batting, or have the quilt appraised by a certified appraiser, and buy insurance for the what the quilt is worth. If you insure if for $1000 and don't have an appraisal, the shipping company will only pay you for a blanket unless you can prove otherwise. Yes, the insurance is expensive, but if your package does get lost, at least you will receive something for your quilt.

I've used UPS, FedEx and the Postal Service. With UPS and FedEx you can track the package online, which you should do. You can require UPS and FedEx to get a signature, which is helpful.

Don't be afraid to call their customer service if you don't see it online - packages do get lost. Most of the time they can be traced.

Janet
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If I were sending a quilt I would fold it nicely and place it inside a trash bag and then put it in another trash bag "open end" of the first trash bag first. I would also write the info on a piece of fabric and set it in, then dunk it in water just to make sure the ink doesn't run once its dried pin it onto your quilt, then put it in bags with the information on the piece of fabric the first thing they see if they open the bags up. this way if you just use a piece of paper it could rip off while they are trying to go through the box. and if it gets wet it will smudge on paper. If you put it in two different bags it is less likely that it will get something wet on it and ruin it!
This is the best idea, for the smaller items I would use the free priority mail boxes from USPS and get tracking. They are much better about actually doing the tracking now, and it's great to see where it is along the way. It's only an extra 80 cents and well worth it.

Rachel
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 AM

I would only use UPS. I believe for packages 3 lbs and up it is cheaper than PP or PM. And when you figure in it has free tracking (not just DC) and the first $100 of insurance is free, it is even a better deal.

Just DON'T bring it to a pack and ship place, they will rip you off. Pack it yourself and bring to a UPS office.

There is no substitute , IMHO, for seeing where your quilt is every step of the way, every arrival and departure is scanned, and when it says "out for delivery" you can call the recipient and say "Your package is coming today!"
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 AM

I just sent a queen size quilt to my niece. I sent it U.P.S. she had to sign for it since she lives on the 2nd floor and did not want anything to happen to it.
I was told you can't insure over $100.00 unless you feel that you can prove what is in your package. How does one insure work hours put into a quilt. That is rediculous. Well anyway with her having to sign made me feel better. Cost me $35 and some change and it was a 3 day, and she had it. Called me when it was recieved and loves it very much. Says she will tresure it forever
Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

and DO NOT list contents as quilts but textiles or fabric. Listing as quilts is a red flag for thieves.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your input.I think will go with the 2 garbage bags and address on cloth w/ waterproof ink.
I guess the platic bags are ok for the maining I just have to tell the receiver to keep in sheet and NOT plastic in the linen cupboard.
Thanks for the help.