Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping with DH  for fabric.  Do you take him along?  Why  or why not? >

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I've seen many fun messy sewing rooms but this room makes me feel sad. :? Leave hubby to organize the room while you go fabric shopping. :thumbup:
Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Since mine is only home a few hours on the weekend, it has to be extremely rare to ask him to go to the fabric store. He does like to go pick out threads though for the embroidery machine since he enjoys using that.

If he was home all the time, I do believe he'd go with me as we pretty much go everywhere together when possible. I enjoy his company and his opinions.

BTW... my room was almost that stacked/whacked but I had to force myself to get real and find the floor again...now that it's cleared up and the fabric is on shelves I really feel good about my fabric and will even show it off to company.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM

oh my goodness
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Some reorganization and you would have lots more room. I would rather go to the quilt shop alone. My DH likes to go in , buy something and leave. He doesn't care what I buy he just doesn't understand why I spend so much time in there !
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM

i typically shop online for fabric but he does come to every quilt show with me and doesn't have a problem with anything that i buy.

he even knows every penny i spend shopping online and has never had a problem with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM

We always go together since we are both retired. Then we always go somewhere to eat. He also goes to quilt shows with me. We took our ggs with us to a quilt show and boy did he have ideas for a quilt for himself. Had a lot of fun that day, since it was his idea to hang out with us.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

YEs, DH loves to go to the LQS or fabric store. He is my color coordinator when I'm at a loss. He is not burdened by color theory rules, so he will pick out bolts he likes and has saved my sanity on many occasions.

He is also very supportive of my craft and when I don't know how much to get he usually tells me to at least round up to the nearest yard.

Usually he will engage with other quilters in the store and it is so funny to see those exchanges. Often it goes from "why is this MAN talking to me about quilting" to "OMG he even knows the terms - what a nice guy" Too cute!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM

I love how honest quilters are, I'm amazed you posted a pic of the room. LOL That's totally fixable though. I take my DH with me when I shop for fabric because his work is so busy, I want to see him all the time. He's actually really good at helping me if he doesn't think a fabric looks right for a quilt.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
But I do have to agree with previous poster, DH would divorce me if my craft room was as overstuffed as yours.
That's sad. It's sad, too, that someone else said their husband would "kill them" if they had that much.

Now THAT makes me feel sad. A messy, unorganized sewing room can be cleaned up, but a DH who is intolerant and impatient--can't be.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

i can really relate! last time i took hubby with me- just needed some paperback fusable- planned on spending about $10===$283 later i made it out of the store!!!
he found 3 different collections- he really felt i had to get---some of each---the fabrics are still in a bag- still in the closet---one of these days i will be caught up enough on stuff i had already in the works- to look at what he felt i had to have.
usually it's great to take him along- but my budget won't take a habit of it :)
he would never agree to sit in the car though- he likes looking- (now if i could just get him to use his check book at the check out-it would be ok)))