Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping with DH  for fabric.  Do you take him along?  Why  or why not? >

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM

My husband comes with me. I am lucky, his older sister was a sewer and made him go to fabric stores with her when he was a youth. He know what I am talking about when I need thread or elastic. He knows I like finding "penguin" fabric for our granddaughter. He points out the sport fabrics for our grandson. He will give an opinion on colors or patterns when I ask. He has good taste and I value that.

He is my best friend and I love shopping with him.

Now my sewing room... he likes order in his life and that includes my space. We had a closet fitted for shelves from top to bottom so to store my fabrics behind closed doors. Just my sewing machine, design wall and current projects are in plain site.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 AM

If it is in town shopping DH doesn't go with me. Just hands me the money. If we are traveling he will go with me. We were babysitting with a 5 mo. old, and I wanted to go to this Quilt shop out of town. DH drove, came in with us, and the shop had a rocking chair. You should have seen the people in the shop watching him rocking, and feeding the baby a bottle.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:36 AM

My DH enjoys find a fabric and saying "what can you do with this?" He is a joy.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 AM

I always take my DH along......he buys MORE fabric then I do and is always asking if I need one thing or another for my quilting projects! He is a keeper!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM

Yes, hubby goes with me and he never minds at all waiting on me. He is more patient than I expect him to be. Sometimes I feel bad for him, as it seems to take me longer than expected. He is great at helping if I need him. When I had my candle business for 10 yrs he was wonderful at going for supplies for me if I was too busy to even leave the shop. I just made my list and he would go. I could not ask for a better helper. He also loves craft shows as much as I do so I have it made!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 AM

No, because he's color blind and no help at all. He'll take me to Lancaster while I shop for fabric because he gets to eat at a buffet.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 AM

My husband will some times go with me. He knows where every bathroom is in the quilt shops that I visit!!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM

DH has never been. It's not that he doesn't care about my sewing, but Visiting a fabric store would bore him to tears....much the way visiting a music supply store bores me to tears ;)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 AM

My friend backed out of the trip to Keepsake Tent Sale - I was bummed out - but DH said he would go with me - He went in to the tent with me to "hold" my bag and kept saying _"this is nice . . OH - look at that ...Couldn't you use this as a backing? This might go with that other fabric!"

Yup I too have too much fabric but cane home with even more that day!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 AM

Not a chance that I would ever take him with me!!