Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
shopping online in canada >

shopping online in canada

shopping online in canada

Old 11-27-2019, 04:03 AM

Default shopping online in canada

Any suggestions for best online shops in Canada? I am looking for good quality fabric at best prices and fast service. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 AM

I like Hamels, SewSisters, Clothesline Quilts, Country Clothesline, Thread Count Fabrics.

SewSisters have a clearance section at $9.00 a yard, and I've ordered from them often. I've never been disappointed.

I mostly order fabrics on sale from the above stores. Quality is very good.

I used to order a lot from the U.S., but I found it increasingly frustrating to never know in advance how much I'd end up being charged. Sometimes duty is charged, sometimes not; sometimes brokerage fee, sometimes not.

I must say though that from time to time, I will order from Equilter in the U.S., and so far have never been charged duty and brokerage fees. They have great sales at 40% off, and that's when I order. They will also sometimes offer 50% off shipping for international customers.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Patricia..thank you. I will check out all of those. I do order from EQuilter and have always been happy. I order panels from them because they have such a nice variety and the quality is good. I got charged custom duties just once and that was a nominal amount.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 AM

I've signed up for email updates from DinkyDoo out of BC. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but they carry all the brand name fabrics and have sales on a regular basis.

Other than that, if I can't find something locally I tend to order from Fabric.com. It is from the US but the prices are good and the delivery time is unbelievably fast. There sometimes is a duty charge to pay but they ship by UPS so you can pay it online so you don't need money when the driver shows up.
Seriously, my daughter ordered fabric on Monday night last week and it was here before the end of the day on Thursday.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
I've signed up for email updates from DinkyDoo out of BC. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but they carry all the brand name fabrics and have sales on a regular basis.

Other than that, if I can't find something locally I tend to order from Fabric.com. It is from the US but the prices are good and the delivery time is unbelievably fast. There sometimes is a duty charge to pay but they ship by UPS so you can pay it online so you don't need money when the driver shows up.
Seriously, my daughter ordered fabric on Monday night last week and it was here before the end of the day on Thursday.
You're so right about speed of delivery for fabric.com ... unbelievable!

When I got back into quilting about 10 years ago, I ordered from them a lot. They have such a vast inventory! Back then, I was never charged duty and brokerage. If I'm not mistaken they used USPS at that time.

Over the years, I discovered Canadian sources for fabrics, and as I noted above, I got really fed up not knowing upfront what a yard of fabric was going to cost me.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:46 PM

I haven't ordered from fabric. com but will keep it in mind.
Thanks Tish and Patricia..for the help.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Funky Monkey is a good store too. I've been to the store in person, and their prices seemed quite good.

https://funkymonkeyfabrics.com/
Old 11-28-2019, 03:49 AM

Thanks. Have started a folder to keep bookmarks of all mentioned stores. Have added funkymonkeyfabrics to folder.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
Funky Monkey is a good store too. I've been to the store in person, and their prices seemed quite good.

https://funkymonkeyfabrics.com/
Thanks for the info, GEMRM. I'd never heard of Funky Monkey before.