Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Short term goals RE fabric >

Short term goals RE fabric

Short term goals RE fabric

Old 01-08-2023, 11:05 AM

Default Short term goals RE fabric

So decided to have short term goals to shop my stash. First goal is to make 2 skateboard quilts only using my fab for front and back. Have first top pieced and sewing sashing strips today. Tomorrow boarders matching sashing and then shop stash for backing. Wish me luck with Goal #2...lol
Old 01-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Good luck! I am shopping my stash and my scrap bin right now. I will allow myself to buy borders or backing if needed. Skateboard quilts are fun as well as I Spy.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:53 PM

I like short term goals. Easier to see victory. I need encouragement not guilt.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:21 AM

I bought way too much fabric when I went on my one and only quilt bus tour. Very addictive I can tell you that. My sister went with me and she doesn't even sew but bought some fleece which I'm sure she has done nothing with and this was back in Oct 2018. Anyway, came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric as I can't see leaving just a little bit of fabric on any bolt, had to take it with me. So I put myself on a no buying spree until I can put all my fabric up on the shelves. I have just been able to put some of those partial bolts into a large bin and pushed under the quilt frame so I am making progress but they're not on the shelves so can't and won't buy any new fabric. I did buy a couple yards for a backing awhile back but I can't classify that as "buying fabric" since it was for a project and nope, didn't have enough of any of that color that I needed.

Right now I'm trying to finish my UFOs from 2016 and on. Plus I did put together a little quilt for a dog using orphan blocks, cutoffs and scraps. Now working thru projects that were up to block stage and getting them made into a top.

But no..............BUYING FABRIC..........is in my future this year.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:30 PM

Well I blew it. I had some left over money this month as I did get a raise in my Social Security check and it just kept begging me to spend it. I went to Hobby Lobby--worst place I can go with money in my pocket. I found some fabric that will be great for an I Spy quilt. It has an animal for each letter of the alphabet but what really sold me is the t-rex is called "X-tinct" and I had to have that fabric. It was one of those insanity modes. But I am completely recovered ---- I think.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:57 PM

MaryKa -- if you like scavenger hunts for fabric and you have a Goodwill Clearance store in your area, go there. Mine costs $1/lb if you get 51 lbs of stuff. Otherwise it is $1.50/lb. Sometimes they have folds of fabric. Sometimes you can find quilts that need repair (like my Sunbonnet Sue quilt -- $3.50 total cost for that beauty!), Sometimes you find great fabric in clothes you can cannibalize for your I spy quilts. Sometimes you find nothing. Be prepared to search and wear a mask to protect you from the dust (and viruses).

Juliemn1 -- those are great goals and as petthefabric said, victories rock!

I am on a fabric moratorium so no more scavenger hunts for me. Snooze, you could be my sister!
Old 01-10-2023, 05:11 AM

ibex94....I've never heard of a Goodwill clearance store...Oh how I wish there was one close!
I did buy some jelly rolls that were being discounted after Christmas from various on-line shops, and may have gotten a layer cake or two also. I've made 9 kits up from those items and fabric from my stash to work on over the months until spring when I can get back out on the three season porch and actually quilt them. I even had to bring my machine into the house so it didn't freeze up.
MaryKa....I'd forgotten we get a raise in Social Security. wonder if that means more fbric or more in the bank for me??
Julienm1...now that was a bus trip I would have loved to be on!!
Old 01-10-2023, 05:28 AM

Update RE Goal #1. Waiting for gllue to dry so I can mark the top for quilting. In thse mean time working on Skateboard #2. This top should be pieced by Sat or Sunday.

I signed up for Organizing your sewing space with Just Get It Done Quilts. Thursday I plan to go thru my patterns from the Internect and bring the ones I don't want to PL in hopes of them finding a new home. If they don't want them, I have another place to drop them off.