Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
shoud i wash >

shoud i wash

shoud i wash

Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 AM

Default shoud i wash

I spray blasted a quilt then discovered it will not fit in my machine.(this was going to be my first time
Machine quilting) so I want to send it out to be quilted. Shoud I wash it I have a front loader if
That makes a difference what should I do. I know someone can tell me what to do. Thank you for
Any help you can give me.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I don't recommend machine washing an unquilted top due to the fraying that can happen. You could hand soak it in the bath tub. You could call and ask the machine quilter first to see if the basting spray would effect her loading the quilt?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't recommend machine washing an unquilted top due to the fraying that can happen. You could hand soak it in the bath tub. You could call and ask the machine quilter first to see if the basting spray would effect her loading the quilt?
I agree completely. Try to find someone to do it for you that can take it sandwiched or just gently soak it in the sink.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Thank you for your Immput. If I soak it how shoud I dry it
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

When you say you spray basted, do you mean that you actually sandwiched the back, batting, and top? And when you say you want to send it out to be quilted, do you mean to a longarmer? There are some people who quilt for others using their domestic machines (the owner of my LQS was one of them until she recently got a longarm) and they might be willing to take the quilt already sandwiched. A longarmer will want 3 separate pieces - back, batting, and top - because of the way the quilt must be loaded onto the longarm, and will probably not take them if they are sticky from the basting spray. But washing a top implies also having to dry and press it. The drying can be done by laying the top flat on towels or blankets to dry, but pressing could be an arduous task, depending on the complexity of the piecing.

I have never used basting spray, so I don't know how it feels. Is it possible to take the 3 layers apart without damaging them? If you do, is the fabric sticky?

Is it possible that you could find someone with a sit-down longarm who could finish the quilt for you? Or perhaps someone with more experience could quilt it on her DSM, or show you how to accomplish it? I quilted most of my tops in sections before I got a longarm, but I did quilt one large quilt (not in sections) on my DSM, so I know it can be done, and I would try that again before I would wash an unquilted top.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 AM

I have a long arm and it is not impossible to quilt the quilt already sandwiched. Just ask around till you find someone who will do it. It is not how we would prefer to do it. and may depend on how lofty your batting is and how big the quilt is
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 AM

Is the basting spray permanent or temporary........never having used it I don't know....
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 AM

I would consult the person who will quilt it, before doing anything with the quilt. You can then follow her recommendations.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 AM

I did the same thing on my first ever quilt. I found a longarm quilter thru my local quilt shop. She had no problem with it being spray basted.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Some basting sprays are temporary and will dissipate with time. Check your can of spray and see what it says