Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should have found the pattern >

Should have found the pattern

Should have found the pattern

Old 04-04-2022, 12:03 PM

Default Should have found the pattern

I decided to make this quilt a year or so ago. I saw it and to my untrained eye, it seemed simple. I don't even know what the name of the pattern is. So, I don't know where to look for help.

Why I decided to do it is beyond me, as I hate making HSTs. Anyway, I have 260 HSTs made and just started to press them. Then, I ran into a slight problem. How do you press them? If I press them all to the dark side, then I have 4 seams coming together very regularly, that's a really thick seam, as that would be 12 layers of fabric (Ithink). If I don't press them to the dark side, how do I know how to press them?

Bkay

Attached Thumbnails dicks-quil-upsized.jpg  
Old 04-04-2022, 12:10 PM

I think I would look at doing one row to one side and then the next row to the other side.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:50 PM

When I've had problems like that I usually press the seams open. Its a bit more work but can really cut down on the bulky seams.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Gay

I agree with pressing the seams open. Am sure I have this pattern in the dungeons of my files but haven't found it in the first 10. Because I'm curious I will keep looking. Maybe the name has something to do with 'diamond' I have divided your pic into blocks which should make it easier for you to assemble, though they look rectangular instead of square. This quilt was most likely made using strips instead of HSTs.
Attached Thumbnails diamonds.jpg  
Old 04-04-2022, 03:33 PM

Is this it?
https://www.sameliasmum.com/2012/10/...-tutorial.html
Old 04-04-2022, 04:12 PM

Not the same. Thanks anyway.

bkay
Old 04-04-2022, 08:25 PM

This is a traditional quilt pattern called Depression block.
https://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html
Old 04-05-2022, 03:07 AM

I would definitely press the seams open. I find that it's far easier to get seams to line up correctly when pressing open as things tend to not wiggle as much as when you're nesting seams.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:39 AM

Peckish...thank you for posting this link. In the process of cleaning out my sewing room I've come across several containers of 5"x5" squares. Printed the pattern out and have places it with the containers. Will work on this after the room is cleaned once more.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:46 AM

It has similarities to the ones posted, but I know they are not it. The ones that have been posted have alternating dark and light centers, whereas bkay's have all what appear to be the same light center. There is a "Summer in the Park" that is similar made with strips and one person managed to have all dark centers but evidently it is sashed
https://ladybirdquilts.com/2018/04/0...t/betty_g_026/

I hope you have a big design wall, but I think Gay has the right idea to do rectangles rather than squares. I've heard of spinning the centers, but that is with squares and not HST. Maybe a big hammer, wool mat will help make those corners flatter. I'm wondering if you did .... I'm not sure how to explain but if you pressed all the seams in one rectangle from left to right and the next right to left so that the seams are pressed kind of like a circle as indicted -diamonds-arrows.jpg

Take this with a grain of salt, since I do not make quilts, just like to research and think about them.

ETA - while the colors are different - same number of pieces https://quiltingcubby.com/how-to-mak...or-your-quilt/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-05-2022 at 05:55 AM.