Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

IF you are fond of her and really like her .. why should it matter how much it costs- its a gift from the heart that counts .. IF you have many- maybe mother and daughter would just be thrilled with the gifts of a quilt made with love.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't. This is a hairdresser you've met twice. Would you give her a $100 piece of jewelry? Maybe if she'd been your fabulous hair dresser for 10 years, but not 2 times. Save your quilts for someone whom you either know well or choose to gift to someone who NEEDS it. For instance, I'm gifting a quilt to a coworker of my mother's - I don't personally know her, but her life is so stressful right now, any warm fuzzy will be of help.

As other posters have mentioned, most people who don't quilt have no idea what the actual cost of making a quilt is - not even counting the time allotment.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 PM

I say do what your heart tells you to do. If you want to give her the quilt, do so. If you had rather not, then give her either a bigger tip or some another appropriate gift. I would not give a quilt/gift to the daughter and exclude the mother as the daughter is not the one doing your hair and it appears that you do not even know her.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 AM

Bless me and my quilts. Once I pay for the fabric, the cost of the quilt never crosses my mind again. I make them for the pure pleasure. They go to family, friends, random strangers, and charity. Course I'm a regular houndog for a bargain, giveaways, and thrift stores. The only time I quote a price is those 'Its so beautiful, my friend wants one like it.'
Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 AM

You know, the trouble with adults is that we over think every thing too much. Children give with all their hearts on pure instinct and are happy and joyful to have made another person happy and joyful. And then they run off to play and never give it another thought. If the adults of this world could be that free and giving there would be no unhappiness anywhere. When we become stingy, selfish or self-centered we not only keep the joy from others but we also keep ourselves locked in to always thinking and feeling only of ourselves and I don't believe it makes us happier. It's Christmas. Give, give, give until it hurts. And then run off and play.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM

I was a nail technician in Michigan for 17yrs. Some of my most cherished gifts were from the crafters. I also recv'd a beautiful (expensive) crystal bowl from a client that new it would be our last year together. I think giving her a quilt will help her realize traditions and sharing of something we put so much of ourselves in when making. Remember she might not understand the value of the gift sentimentally, so encourage her to pass this on to her children with a story of where this treasure came from. I really hope you decide to share your talents, she shares her's with you. Have a great holiday.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 AM

How much it costs doesn't matter. What a wonderful gift and you are wonderful to consider it!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 AM

I'm with Sierra: Give her what feels good to you! I don't think it's a commitment for next year or anything more than a nice thing to do. But, don't be surprised if it ends up being a dogbed or whatever. Not everyone will place the same value on it you do - especially when they are not a quilter them self!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 AM

I went to the same hairdresser for 10 years, and never gave her a quilt until this fall when I found out she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She hugged me and thanked me, and it just felt right. In your situation, I think I would feel a little awkward. However, this is your decision, of course.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:38 AM

Personally I wouldn't give her a quilt. To me quilts are given to someone special in our life. Maybe in a few years when you've developed a special relationship with her you might want to consider it. If she works for a chain she might be moved or gone before you even finish it. That's a lot of expense and time for someone you hardly know and see very seldom.