Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I prewash fat eighths? >

Should I prewash fat eighths?

Should I prewash fat eighths?

Old 02-13-2021, 01:26 PM

I think your fabrics will shrink if you wash them in the washer. I just get a bowl of warm water with a little soap and swish the fabrics around and rinse out and line dry
Old 02-14-2021, 09:08 AM

Before reading this thread, I would have said no, but I love the salad spinner idea.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:35 AM

my go to technique for washing smaller pieces is to serge the edges and throw in the washing machine and dryer...yep...I know I will lose some fabric but mot likely to be much more than what I would lose anyway by straightening the edges. I get a bit leary of gentle means of prewashing, cuz, I'm not sure if that method would shrink or test the colorfastness of a regular washing machine. I usually toss in a few of those color sheets in the wash too. If there is a lot of color on them, I will rewash and not use the fabric if warranted.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:35 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I like the idea of the salad spinner, but with about 70 fat eighths I don't have the patience. I ended up putting them in the washer on gentle and then the dryer. They did ravel a bit more than I hoped they would but it really isn't a big deal. It's not like like lost inches of fabric. Now to iron them all . . . .