Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: should I stop using this thread?

should I stop using this thread?

I recently purchased a Bernina sewing machine. When I went for lessons on how to use all the special stitches, the woman there told me not to use the thread I had in the machine. I use Essential Thread which I purchase from Connecting Threads. She said that the thread is not wound on the bobbin correctly and that the tension would not be correct. I have been using this thread for a few years on my Brother sewing machine and it seems to be okay. Has anyone had problems with this thread? Should I ignore what she said and continue to use it? I have a lot of spools of it because I don't have a store near me where I can buy thread. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    You got some replies to this question in your previous thread here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t197236.html

I use Essential thread for almost all my piecing. I have a Bernina 153QE and a Janome Horizon and I've not had any tension issues on either machine while using this thread. I actually like it better than Gutterman's and some other more expensive threads.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I frequently use that thread on my Bernina.

My Bernina is not the least bit fussy about what thread I use...fat, thin, natural, synthetic, metallic, expensive, cheap, old, new, foreign or domestic. That said, I don't use CT thread because it's too linty for my liking. My guess is that the sheriff said not to use it because she doesn't sell it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I have used the Essential thread on my Bernina with no problem...I think she would like you to buy thread from her. I would keep using it unless you do find a problem with it...and be sure to regularly clean your machine for lint.

I would think she is looking for a sale with you. I would listen to the experienced ladies on this board. They have tried and true advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by josieh View Post
    I recently purchased a Bernina sewing machine. When I went for lessons on how to use all the special stitches, the woman there told me not to use the thread I had in the machine. I use Essential Thread which I purchase from Connecting Threads. She said that the thread is not wound on the bobbin correctly and that the tension would not be correct. I have been using this thread for a few years on my Brother sewing machine and it seems to be okay. Has anyone had problems with this thread? Should I ignore what she said and continue to use it? I have a lot of spools of it because I don't have a store near me where I can buy thread. Thanks.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

Banned
    I don't understand the statement "not wound on the bobbin correctly". If she means the cone = I would assume all thread is wound the same way. The only thing to listen to about the use of thread is your machine. If it doesn't like it it will certainly tell you so. Now having said that....some threads do lint more and require more attention to cleaning the bobbin and feed dog areas.......other than this........use whatever works.

This is somewhat like when i tell quilters about the "left handed needle" I have invented.

As long as the stitches look good, you aren't getting too much lint in the bobbin and feed dog area, and it isn't breaking often, you are probably okay. I don't particularly like the brand that Bernina recommends. I prefer Isacord. It's slick. What I particularly like about it is that if I have to take out something I sewed, it pulls out very nicely. I agree that the person may have been hoping to make a sale.

I have a Bernina, and use connecting threads thread all the time. I love it and so does my Bernina!!

Blog Entries
    She told you that because the shop doesn't sell that thread. Dealers will tell you not to use anything they don't sell. Use the thread that your machine likes no matter what brand it is. My Bernina sews great with all brands of thread.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    You got some replies to this question in your previous thread here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t197236.html
    I agree Prism. Exact same question and only 3 total posts from this person. What's up?

Blog Entries
    So a post is a duplicate, why would it be an eyebrow raiser for anyone? It's easy to get double postings when you are new to the board and trying to learn how it's done.
    Got fabric?

Same here...its the only thread i use, cant beat the price, and i have never had a problem in my Bernina

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I have a Bernina, and use connecting threads thread all the time. I love it and so does my Bernina!!

Blog Entries
    I recently went to a demo on the Bernette Deco 340. The Bernina rep said the same thing about using pre-wound bobbins! She said the machine winds them at the right tension. The pre-wound bobbins may or may not be wound correctly. In fact, she told me that if you take your machine to be serviced and they find out you're using pre-wound bobbins, they may void the warranty!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Quote Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
    I recently went to a demo on the Bernette Deco 340. The Bernina rep said the same thing about using pre-wound bobbins! She said the machine winds them at the right tension. The pre-wound bobbins may or may not be wound correctly. In fact, she told me that if you take your machine to be serviced and they find out you're using pre-wound bobbins, they may void the warranty!
    Interesting, especially since Bernette is not made BY Bernina...they're made FOR Bernina. To the best of my knowledge, Bernette sewing machines are actually manufactured by Janome while Bernette sergers are made by Juki.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I think that the only thread you should not use in the machine is hand quilting thread as it has a coating over it which interferes with the tension discs. Try out any thread and make your own mind up is my view. I use everything except the really cheap quality as it annoys me when it breaks often.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltuniversity.com/difficult_threads.htm

Perhaps the sales person was referring to the way the thread is wound at the factory and which way the machine holds the spool. Check out the link second paragraph about how spools are wound.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

When I purchased my Bernina 18 years ago...they told me not to use anything but Sulky thread in it. I cannot use that thread it breaks and breaks and breaks. I use anything else without a problem. I guess one problem is supposed to be the lint of the thread will collect under the plate, but I clean regularly and have never had a problem.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

I use ET on my Pfaff with no tension problems. It is very linty though and I have been gradually shifting to Aurifill. I use it only for piecing, it doesn't work well for FMQ.

If you like it and it doesn't cause tension problems, use it. I was told the same thing when I went to a class on my new Pfaff. I have ignored their advice and have used what I had at home.
    Marie

I have 2 Berninas and neither one has ever complained about any thread I have ever used and I have used many different ones.
    prolific hand quilter

I use Coats and Clarks dual duty on all my machines even my Viking. It works just fine even on my Baby Lock Jane on my long arm table. It is the one you buy at Joanns. I use a coupon when everything else is on sale.
    I tried other brands some expensive and Connecting Threads, (it is linty). But at the price of C&C its the best for me.
    I have learned to use the same thread in the bobbin and on top. It makes a difference.
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 08-18-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I agree Prism. Exact same question and only 3 total posts from this person. What's up?
    Well yeah 3 total posts, they have only been a member since June---does it make a difference how many posts they've had? Perhaps they forgot they asked the question
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
    This may be the most correct answer, assuming she was talking about the bobbin. I even had a bobbin wind incorrectly on the machine I was using it on; I didn't pay attention when the thread slipped out of the guides so it wound really sloppy. This was in a class and the instructor caught it before I did. She made a similar comment. I also tried winding bobbin thread for my Brother embroidery machine on my regular Brother sewing machine and that didn't work well. Same bobbin, same winding method, different tensions for the different machines.

There is undoubtedly nothing wrong with the thread itself, but your bobbin may not be wound correctly for your machine.
    Shirley in Arizona

I've never had any problems with the Essential Threads which I started using about 2-3 years ago. I use them in my new Viking sewing machine; I like them as well as many other brands I have used. I took advantage of a recent 30% off sale and picked up about 40 spools in various colors. It's great thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast