Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show? >

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

should I take the chance to put my quilts in an art show?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
Both my husband and myself are laid off I saw an ad on Craigslist of a gallery wanting fiber artists, I want to do a wallhanging and submit it but am afraid of rejection. We need the money if it sells but oh the fear is almost as great as the need. I know the saying it doesn't hurt to try but when your already down more rejection hurts.
Need to watch craigslist ads - most are honest people looking to sellk what they have - unfortunately others are there to prey on people like you who need money and see it as quick fix - be sure to check on fees etc and ask around to see if they have ever done this before - doesnt hurt to ask for references!!! Good Luck - why not just do a craigslist ad of your own and put a few on to sell. If no one buys I bet its because many are like you and cant afford to buy !!! cheryl
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM

I entered my first quilt this fall. The fear of public rejection/critisism was almost paralizing. I was a wreck! I consider my self a confident quiler and have sold many many things over the years , but never entered a real judged art show. Well to my shock I won. It brought me to tears!
Go for it !! I never would have had the thrill of victory if I had done nothing. I learned that if I had not won there was still something to learn from the experience .. life goes on!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM

I agree. Check out the fine print. Also cherck out the gallery.

Submitting your work will hopefully also give you positive feedback and help you go forward in your quilting. All my friends who have put quilts in shows have found the experiences to be great learning oportunities.

ali
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM

DO it!!! You'll never know how good you are until you try. Don't believe that rejections means you're NOT good, either! They can only say no! Then go back after you're accepted/rejected and see what's being shown there. It'll give you an idea of what to do or not do.....

I had a woman approach me years ago to put some of my paintings in their JURIED church craft show. I was so reluctant, but finally did it. ALL my paintings sold in the 1st hour. I know, because I was there an hour after opening!!!!! Sure gave me a boost!

Let us know what you do!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Go for it!!!

You GO girl!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Lots of other issues to consider, as has been mentioned already, but to strictly stick to what you initially asked.

I know what you mean about the rejection aspect, but don't let that be your fear. Let your fear be not knowing, not the outcome. That itself is empowering. It's not how many times you fall but how many times you get up. You can do it!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

The truth is that it isn't about rejection at all...it is about what "they" are looking for. If you don't win, it isn't at all because your quilt is inferior in any way...it just isn't what they are looking for at that time.
It might win the next one.
Go for it...and don't you dare feel rejected for doing so!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Go For It! :thumbup:

If it does get rejected for some reason, ask them the reason. The answer may help make your work even better for the next submission.

And remember....Rejection is a part of life. We all get rejected at some point and we grow stronger because of it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

You seeing that ad might just have been God's way of talking to you. I say go for it & let it be a learning experience.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Yes, go for it. You will learn and others will get to see your work. Look at it as sharing.