Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I teach my husband to quilt? >

Should I teach my husband to quilt?

Should I teach my husband to quilt?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM

I would not like my husband to try to share my hobby. He would criticize my methods, or 'have a better way', I like having one up on him. With a little knowledge of my own!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Yes

If he is interested YES! Also realize that not all quilters are not traditional quilters. Men make the best quilters and are more apt to be improv piecers,aka modern quilters than a traditional, contemporary quilter.

Every male quilter I've gotten to know are somewhat alot like I am, a free spirit, who just slaps pieces of fabric together in an art form which for the last five years as taken off international know as the modern quilt group or MOD Quilters.

If you can accept that once you teach him the basics of piecing that he may just do his own thing you both will do fine.

There are some "men" only quilt books out there and they are such an inspiration.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM

I agree! I know of many men who are 18 wheeler truckers who have taken up needlepoint of some form, hand stitching and even do quilting.

One of the local guilds I belong to in a neighboring town has at least 3 men in it now and they do wonderful work.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Only if you could set him up in his own separate space with his own sewing machine and stash. M dh would drive me crazy, I need the alone time with my sewing. He'd be commenting on the state of my floor, how unorganized my things are, how can you find anything? Why don't you finish a project before you start on another? Why do you need so much fabric, thread, etc.?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM

I think it is a wonderful idea, but I'd be sure to discuss and agree beforehand as to what things are yours, his or both. It'll save some of the headache (or arguing about it later). Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM

Suzy hit the nail on the head. Mine is a perfectionist and I am not (thats why I applique,i hide a lot of messups LOL) and he would take over and it wouldn't be MY hobby anymore. He does make stuff for my room which I appreciate very much but thats as far as it goes for me. Try it and if it works great! But if it doesn't you will have to post a ?? how do I end this. LOL
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bon-bon View Post
I would not like my husband to try to share my hobby. He would criticize my methods, or 'have a better way', I like having one up on him. With a little knowledge of my own!
Big Ditto to that one.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM

I think it is a dood idea He will have his own stle that may be different than yours so not neccesarily take from your stash.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 AM

I like the idea of long arm quilting for your hubby. It deals with a machine (every guy loves machines), he can get as creative as he likes, and the additional bonus would be your quilts will be quilted for you -- everybody wins. The needlepoint idea is great, too...there are lots of men that do that as well. I couldn't share my quilt room as its way too small for both of us, but would work it out if my hubby wanted to learn how to quilt. He won't, though - its not his thing. Encourage him to explore all the different 'creative arts' to find out what appeals to him....
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Default Teaching hubbie to quilt?

Have you thought of going to a Folk School together where each of you can take their own class. This one is a good one www.folkschool.org. Week long or weekend classes in a wide range of crafts/hobbies.