Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder bag/tote

Shoulder bag/tote

I have received this bag for a Christmas present from a friend. It was admired at church today and some ladies asked me if I could help them make one. I haven’t got a pattern, how is the bag really called and would someone please be able to direct me if somewhere on the Board there is a tutorial. Thanks a lot!!!
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

The things you do for yourself are gone when you’re gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy. ~ Kalu Kalu

Blog Entries
    is there a picture of it? or are you looking for just any shoulder/tote bag?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Check out the bags at so-sew-easy.com, or sew4free.com, or craftsy.com for many styles and many free. You will be able to download the PDF and print the patterns from your computer. I have many and they are easy to construct.. I'm making a "swoonethel" right now for a friend who gave me fabric.

Have a chat with Mr. Google, and he will help you find just what you want.
    There are literally thousands, or perhaps I should say millions, of free bag patterns on the web.
    Take a good look around at them, as some are easier and simpler to make than others.
    yet look much the same!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Check out the projects here. You can also do a search for specific type patterns on the site.

https://sew4home.com/project-index

Tote bag

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    is there a picture of it? or are you looking for just any shoulder/tote bag?
    Yes, sorry normally there should be a picture but I didn’t know how to add it with my iPhone 😩 will try tomorrow with my computer but in the meantime I will check out the links given to me by others 😁 Thanks ❤️
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

The things you do for yourself are gone when you’re gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy. ~ Kalu Kalu

there is a lot of different styles here http://www.byannie.com
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

Thank you very much for all your help !!! In the meantime I have found out the bag is called a boho bag and found quite a few good tutorials on YouTube ❤️

Boho bags are so cool. I made one for myself when I refused to pay the prices for a new purse. It is not a tote bag size, though. It was a free pattern on someone's blog.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Red face Picture of Boho bag

Since you all have so lovingly helped me trying to find the pattern I was looking for, here is an image of the bag my girl-friend made for me Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elfi

allfreesewing.com/bags - may have this one or one similar.

Blog Entries
    That style of bag is called a hobo bag. If you google it, there are lots of free patterns out there. Here's one:

https://destashification.com/2011/08...-bag-tutorial/

Many do not have the tied handles, but if you find one you like, just extend the handle portion & tie it when you are done.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    there are a bunch of free patterns available. If you haven't ever 'boxed' a bottom corner, take a flat bag (like a pillowcase) slide a box container into it (like a cereal box) and see what it looks like at the bottom corner. This visual really lets the idea of sewing a triangle make sense. You can do anything to the basic tote - piece it, quilt it, add pockets inside or out and change the size to anything you want. The idea is to create the 2 pieces of fabric and then sew them together. The lining will be the same size and attach it at the top after attaching the straps. Leave a couple inches open in the side of the lining to pull it rightside out and you are done! Everything else is just additions - closures, pockets, adjustable straps, pockets, etc. I like to add a flap to the top to make them more messenger bag style. I make a lot of these for the boys and make sure they are either the size of tablets or laptops. Another fun gift is to add a layer of PUL, or thin vinyl or even insulbright and make them into smaller lunch bags. Careful, when you start making them from your scrap piles, they can be addictive!!!!

Lovely bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Check out the projects here. You can also do a search for specific type patterns on the site.

https://sew4home.com/project-index
    Oh, my - I could spend days, weeks, months looking at all of these and trying them out. I think my first will be the catnip heart mice.

Wonderful site - thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfi2 View Post
    I have received this bag for a Christmas present from a friend. It was admired at church today and some ladies asked me if I could help them make one. I haven’t got a pattern, how is the bag really called and would someone please be able to direct me if somewhere on the Board there is a tutorial. Thanks a lot!!!
    If you find the actual pattern for your bag, please post it. I have been looking for the pattern
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I asked my friend for the pattern but she said she made it just by looking at one and trying to figure out how it was made....I suppose we'll just have to do the same
    Elfi

check You Tube you will find lots of tutorials, Missouri Star Quilts also has bag tutorials

I like the way she has pieced the fussy cut picture! Beautiful fabrics!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you find the actual pattern for your bag, please post it. I have been looking for the pattern
    Pete, I haven’t found the pattern but I used the tutorial from “destashification.com” and adjusted it to my liking 😁 like for instance I made my base round and not rectangular. I just made a trial bag as my daughter wants one and i don’t want to mess up the fabric she chose. It turned out quite nice and i made all the mistakes in this one so won’t make them next time!!! I will post just as soon as I’ve done both 😃

Blog Entries
    I made one with small squares long time ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It might be a hobo bag but the tute says boho bag.

Hobo/Boho

Quote Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
    It might be a hobo bag but the tute says boho bag.
    I actually googled both words to find out the exact meaning and with the explanations it’s really possible to call the bag either the one or the other, both very fitting 😁😁😁
    Elfi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast