Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Show of hands

Red face A Show of hands

How many of you have or know someone who was driven insane by paper piecing? I hope I am not the first! lol

Blog Entries
    I haven't learned how to pp yet.

That is a future "goal" I want to learn.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Don't feel too bad. It has taken me 2 years to get my head around this method and I still need to concentrate really hard.

For me the hardest part is working backwards with everything. I am not giving up though and making good progress with a bedrunner. I am up to removing all the paper now. Something to do in front of tv of a night.

My advice is to practice, practice and pick a design that does not have too many small components to start with. Good luck with it.

Blog Entries
    It is very relaxing when you get into it. The first step is the hardest the rest just follow on. Paper pieced quilt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finished is better than a UFO

I tried paper piecing several times and I hated it. Finally mastered the technique, now tried the "picture piecing' method by cynthia england and that is twice as difficult for me. Think I will go back to plain old piecing lol

Blog Entries
    sometimes it drives me nuts, but it sure helps when tiny pieces have to be just right. so i persevere.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Yes, working on a quilt with lots of pp, had been away from it during the holidays and a new GD, tried to get back to it last weekend, finally had to walk away, will try again this weekend.

Blog Entries
    I haven't learned how to pp yet. I want o and need to jump right in.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

If you're finding it difficult, you might be able to find a good class. I learned in a class at the LQS and had no problems after that. I understand that the books by Carol Doak are also good. Also I find that the add-a-quarter ruler is a wonderful tool that makes PP much easier.

I, too, had to finally take a class. Just could not wrap my head around 'words' only and utube wasn't cutting it (no pun intended) either. The class was awesome and a great 'aha'. It was for a NY Beauty style quilt...that I still haven't figured out how I want to hand quilt...but that's just ANOTHER issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
    How many of you have or know someone who was driven insane by paper piecing? I hope I am not the first! lol
    I did one and decided there was an easier way to live! tee hee
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I was but I have come back and am slowely learning how to do it. I can do the basic patterns but I am still strugling with the ones with a gizzilion pieces or too many angles. They are so nice and crisp. I do like the end result.
    Anna Quilts

I swear I have a mental block doing that. I have done a couple as I had to for an exchange. I will master it one day.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

I went nuts but finally recovered. I hope never to do it again. But i am impressed by those who can do it.

The only other thing in my life that made me more frustrated than paper piecing was Algebra. I can't do either one and I'm okay with it.

I actually like paper piecing - if you don't have a LQS with a class check out the DVD by Carol Doak. Actually as much as I like to take classes I think this might be a better value as you can stop/go back and look at again if you haven't done it in a while. I have a couple of her books but have loved the DVD - even though I had already paperpieced. She goes through some things like how to make sure your pieces are big enough and an easy way to determine if your angle is going to work.

Blog Entries
    I don't understand the difficulty people seem to have with PP. It is just a simple learning curve you need to get through. yes a few pieces of fabric are going to be backwards or to small but this happens in pieced tops too. So what is the big deal with PP?

Don't give up before you even try to do it. It is not that hard or scary. So what if you make a few mistakes. That is the learning process.

I still make mistakes and I have been PP for years. My head hasn't exploded.

Pick a simple PP pattern and go for it. Have fun.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I did an easy block and thought I could do this, then .....
    Well, let's just say I didn't sew for a couple of days and the attempt ended up in the trash, not even good enough for a dog quilt. I haven't tried again ... maybe someday ... maybe.
    My thoughts: go on to something else that you would enjoy making.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I love paper piecing. It's actually how I got started in quilting. I was at SewExpo and had taken some classes and lectures on machine embroidery, pattern design for clothing, tatting, etc. On a whim, I attended a lecture/demo on paper piecing given by Connie Spurlock. I was intrigued, so I went to her booth, purchased two paper piecing patterns and haven't looked back since!

I wonder if it's kind of like learning to drive. If you learn on a manual transmission, everything else is easy. However, if you learn on an automatic, then learning how to shift gears later is tricky.

I know how to do it...but find it quite tedious, and probably will never finish a Christmas quilt I started with it. I do know people who do enjoy doing it, but it is stressful to me, not relaxing.

I started paper piecing before I really knew how to quilt. I didn't know it was supposed to be hard. I loved it and have never looked back. I like the way your points always turn out good, at least almost always.
    Sue

i love paper pieceing. it makes things look good. carol doaks book is what I used. her method works he for me. good luck.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Not crazy yet.

I have to look up how to do it each time I start a new PP project. Hopefully, soon I will remember what to do.

I love to paper piece. I LOVE not having to worry about precise rotary cutting and a 1/4 seam. It came in handy during bilateral cataract surgery when i was a one eyed wonder between surgeries! lol
    The trick is to do one block over and over, it becomes second nature then. I also precut the pieces I need -- it's a rough cut to be sure. Alex Anderson's paper piecing book is great for explaining this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast