Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Show Me Quilting With Rulers

Show Me Quilting With Rulers

I've heard a lot about it in some other posts, but have not seen any photographs. Do you have a picture or two so I can see what everyone is talking about? Is there a certain procedure to accomplish the quilting?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

This could help you understand. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-to...uilting-rulers

Are you quilting with a Longarm or with a regular sewing machine?

A video for a regular sewing machine. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5F2F&FORM=VIRE

If you Google, Quilting with rulers, you will get a lot of websites with information.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I've been watching Youtube videos because I'm interested as well. I also am watching an Angela Walters class on Craftsy.

Oh, I am not doing it. I just wanted to see the work of some of the people here.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Oh, I am not doing it. I just wanted to see the work of some of the people here.
    Many have referenced using rulers when showing photos of both LA and DSM work.

FelineFanatic and Watson are two whom I know have shown ruler work photos.
    Lots of others too.

Sorry, I can't give you any specific threads to go to right now.
    Maybe just do some surfing ... or watch the future threads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    This was one of my first efforts on a quilt last year. One of best features I think is being able to do straight line quilting FMQ. I outlined my star without having to turn the quilt and then used my circle to do a design in the center. It isn't perfect but I am getting better with practice.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1660
Size:  228.0 KB

I did some ruler work on my " almost forgotten christmas quilt" that is in the pictures section.
    I can't do anything in a straight line without a ruler, so all the straight lines in the borders were with rulers. I also used a wave ruler for the double line in the red borders and then used the wave ruler in the outer blue border as a base for some leaves and berrries that I free motioned.
    I have some big circle and arc rulers that I use a lot as well. Those kind of shapes are hard to do evenly free hand.

Where have I been for the last 25 years? I have never heard of ruler quilting before, and boy could I have used it on my nemesis quilt instead of those dreadful blue penciled lines. I checked my machine and I can't do it with the foot that I have now but I'm on the lookout for a ruler foot that will fit my machine. Thanks for maybe teaching this old dog a new trick.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    Here is a link to the ruler foot & template package from Nancy's Notions http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...emplate+set.do
    It's a little pricey but so worth it.

Visit patsy Thompsons blog on her site she just had a quilt along with rulers with lots of pictures
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I just posted my big picture on the other ruler work post. I wish I had it at home so I could take some close-up pictures. Here are a couple I've done on my home machine. Not sure what order they'll come up, but the star flower is great for the center of a Dresden plate. On the scallops, I started with lines sewn with my walking foot. Then used an arc ruler to make the scallops. The walking foot lines help me place the arc so it gets taller. It's great to combine ruler work with free-motion. The small scallop makes a pretty border. Then I go back and free-motion "L's and E's," over the scallops. The bicycle stitching is hard to see, but I used the scallop with L's and E's in the smallest border. I also used a big arc (my spiral Westalee ruler with a line drawn across it) for the sun outlines in each corner. Then a straight edge ruler for the Delectable Mountains. The wave ruler made the rays that go across the bicycle center, then I filled those with free-motion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    Wow, quiltedsunshine...your ruler work is fabulous. I have purchased rulers for my DSM but need to watch a couple of YouTube videos as suggested to help wrap my head around them.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Flying Geese Rulers....(don't mind the pet hair )
    Name:  geesefill.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  640.1 KB
    And circle rulers...
    Name:  finish2.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  323.9 KB
    Straight lines

Name:  ygsmall.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  486.7 KB

Watson

Name:  IMG_1271.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  119.9 KBThis was done entirely with straight ruler work. I mostly use rulers on my quilts.

Blog Entries

Ruler work in pillow

This ruler work was done on my mid arm.

I'm jealous. :-). Nicely done!! I'm trying to learn and have an appreciation for how evenly spaced your work it.

DJ
    What wonderful samples!

Here's my humble contribution ...

Gorgeous! They are all beautiful. Thanks for all of the links to sites, but it is your own work I was hoping to see.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...e-t273986.html

Here is a link to placemats I quilted on my DSM using a ruler. Just about every quilt I've quilted and posted here have used rulers on either my Sitdown Sweet 16 or my long arm, but smaller projects I've done on my DSM with a ruler foot and a ruler.

So what I wonder is, don’t you have the same challenges of machine speed vs. hand speed with rulers as with FMQ? It seems that the ruler will give you a more reliable edge to follow for a given motif, but there is still a lot dependent on your backcourt FMQ skill.

Neuva, this is where I'm stuck. I'm not good at stitch regulation with FMQ.

Power Poster
    ​I find it easier to keep my stitches even with my rulers. I think it is because you know where you are going and you are following an edge.

Most of my quilts have some ruler work in them. I do a combination of ruler work and freehand fmq.

Here are a couple of examples of quilts done on my domestic machine using a ruler foot and rulers. The first one used a combination of a straight ruler and freehand for the fills and details. The straight ruler was used for all the straight lines that divide the background into section and also to make the grids that show up here and there. The rest was done free hand.

The second one was done using a straight ruler, a couple of different curved rulers, and a circle ruler and a little free hand work. It was an experiment in using a very slippery, slinky fabric (should have stabilized it first) LOL.

I like to use the rulers when I'm trying to get nice straight line, or smooth curves and circles. They also save time because you don't have to mark your quilt if you want to do things like grids, etc.

Rob

1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen