Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting? >

Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting?

Which side of the quilt do you do your quilting?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 AM

I wondered this too. Sometimes where several seams meet, the "bump" is tall enough to not slip smoothly under the foot, causing less than desireable results. I've wondered if quilting from the back side would make a more gradual incline since the seam convergence is buffered by the batting. Knowing others have succeeded in quilting from the backside, I'm going to give it a go next time!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
yes you can do it either way.

Benartex even sells quilt backing 108 inches with the quilt design lines already marked.

you just quilt from the back following the lines and when your done you toss it in the machine and the lines wash away.

here's a link to the product

http://benartex.fabric-discount1.us/..._The_Yard.html
THAT's an interesting concept. I've got to think about that. I might have to try some of that backing.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by union lady
Originally Posted by katier825
I've quilted from the back to FMQ around appliques that I had on the back. Some people use a specific print on the back and FMQ around the design.
I have a question about FMQ. I am new to quilting as you will be able to tell by my question. My feed dogs don't drop down. Is there a way to cover them to FMQ? I really love my machine so don't want to buy a new one.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Diane
I use an older machine that doesn't let me put the feed dogs down too, and I cut a piece of template plastic and taped it over the feed dogs and went to work (it worked great)! You can also use a business card with a smooth face (some have a rougher texture that catches at the fabric and makes it difficult to FMQ. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN
I would have never thought of doing it, but since reading the comments, especially about the backing fabric with quilting designs printed on it, I think its a great idea, I'm going to try it!
Me too! Thanks Dreamgirl for asking the question. :thumbup:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM

I'm going to try quilting from the back this weekend. I bought some Bernartex preprinted with quilting designs to use on the back with a nice print for the top. I'm just learning on my Hobby Quilter and thought this might be a good way to practice moving my machine.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

either way is fine- a personal choice- or decision based on the quilt- i don't quite understand the (puffy reference) though=== i don't see how it would make a difference which side= since you have quilting on both sides...
anyhow- go for it...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM

There are no "crazy" questons, just crazy answers...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM

I have a question about FMQ. I am new to quilting as you will be able to tell by my question. My feed dogs don't drop down. Is there a way to cover them to FMQ? I really love my machine so don't want to buy a new one.

Diane
My early-1990s Singer came with a plastic cover for the feed dogs. Never really knew what it was for until recently!

Maybe your model has a cover you can purchase?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I haven't but, I have thought of doing it from the backing and have read it in some of my quilting books, it may be easier than working on the top. I will have to try it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
Originally Posted by katier825
I've quilted from the back to FMQ around appliques that I had on the back. Some people use a specific print on the back and FMQ around the design.

Diane
I use an older machine that doesn't let me put the feed dogs down too, and I cut a piece of template plastic and taped it over the feed dogs and went to work (it worked great)! You can also use a business card with a smooth face (some have a rougher texture that catches at the fabric and makes it difficult to FMQ. Hope this helps.
Do you need to make a hole for the needle? This sounds great, thanks so much!