Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sidewinder

I know several folks here don't think much of the bobbin winder that is off to itself. BUT-------------is it bad enough that I just don't need one or is there a place for one?

What I'm thinking is when we have a sewing session at our women's group and have several machines going and have a couple ladies who are doing ironing and pinning and such-----------would it be of any value to have a Sidewinder so one of the ladies could fill bobbins for those sewing?

I like mine, but I do find it works better when I put the spool on the floor below the winder.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    I like mine, but I do find it works better when I put the spool on the floor below the winder.
    If we get one, I'll have to remember that! Thanks

Blog Entries
    I love mine. I use it all the time. I can't wind bobbins on my old Singer. I do have another sewing machine I was using to wind bobbins but my sidewinder is my preferance. It works fanatastic for me! I would think it would be very useful in a group.

Blog Entries
    I love my Sidewinder, I don't have to stop and remove the thread on my machine, because of course I don't fix up enough to start with. Now I always buy at least 2 of each thread color, just in case, so this way I can continue without any stops that gives me time enough to think of something else that needs done away from the sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I know several folks here don't think much of the bobbin winder that is off to itself. BUT-------------is it bad enough that I just don't need one or is there a place for one?

What I'm thinking is when we have a sewing session at our women's group and have several machines going and have a couple ladies who are doing ironing and pinning and such-----------would it be of any value to have a Sidewinder so one of the ladies could fill bobbins for those sewing?
    Love mine. I think it is a great idea

I love my sidewinder so much that I have two! One for upstairs where I do most of my piecing, and one in the garage where I have my Bailey on a Gracie frame.

Power Poster
    I love my sidewinder.

Love my sidewinder. If it breaks, I'll replace it pronto.

Great idea......use my sidewinder all the time!

Blog Entries
    I like mine and do use it alot. Especially when I need a bobbin in the middle of a project and dont want to take the thread off of the machine to wind one. I normally always have an extra spool of thread for the color I'm working on. If I have a large project that I'm starting I use it to quickly do bobbins in all of the colors that I'll need. It threads and fills bobbins very quickly

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Love mine. I use it all the time. I have several machines and do a whole bunch for each one at one time.

I like mine and use it all the time. I understand that some bobbins will not fit but all mine will except FW.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    I like mine and use it all the time. I understand that some bobbins will not fit but all mine will except FW.
    Are you sure?? My FW bobbins work in it.

I love mine. I got it when the bobbin winder broke on my machine. I used a coupon and got 50% off. I love it for all the reasons mentioned above, especially the fact that I don't have to rethread my machine.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Are you sure?? My FW bobbins work in it.
    My FW bobbins fit in the sidewinder.......I have the pink one.

For the price of the Sidewider, I bought several empty bobbins. When I fill them, I do several at a time. S've got several taupe, grey brown, black, and white.

I also love mine, but can't wind my husqvarna bobbins on the model sidewinder I have, I understand they have a newer version now that will wind some that the old ones can't wind. I also have 2, one in my salon (where we sew 3 times a month) and one at home.

I absolutely love mine, and would have to replace it if something happened to it

I almost bought one this wk at Joann's since I had a 50 off coupon until I read the box to find out my machine Viking bobbins won't work on any of them...UGH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Oh, thanks for the tip! I wouldn't be without mine, but don't like how the thread jumps off the spool when the bobbin is full and not about to pay $100 for the new, enhanced model! :-D

For the price of a side winder, I'd buy a vintage sewing machine and use the winder on my new, old machine. He he he!!! :>

Blog Entries
    It wouldn't be of value to me, I fill a lot of bobbins at one time and have them available when I need them.

Banned
    I like mine. Although it is a rickety and cheapy sounding contraption, I like having that external winder. I find it winds just a tad more thread on my bobbins than my machine does.

Blog Entries
    I agree and I haven't had any issues with it jumping threads as someone else mentioned. I got it w/coupon so it was a good deal and a time saver when I need a bobbin in the middle of a project or when I need to fill a bunch of bobbins and I want to watch TV at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast