Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature Quilt help >

Signature Quilt help

Signature Quilt help

Old 12-28-2016, 06:25 AM

I made a signature quilt for my daughter's wedding 22 years ago. I had a young girl at the table to explain what to do. However, rather than just sign their name, the people wrote a message. Twenty-two years later it is nice to look over the quilt and see the messages from friends and loved ones who have passed on. I did not use anything as a backing on the blocks. However, the suggestion to put a frame around the blocks so people do not sign in the seam space is important. I did cut off the ends of a few words for people who wrote to the edge of the block when I finished the quilt.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:14 PM

This is just a marvelous thread and I wish I had thought of this idea so many years ago for the many special events for my large family. You expert people have such great ideas and hints! It puts Fons and Porter to shame!! hehehe
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 AM

I made one for my niece's wedding, and had each person write not only their signature, but a comment about them or marriage. I paper-pieced my blocks, then used painter's tape for my edges. Just tore each piece of tape in half. Didn't take long at all, easy to pull off, and no lines to try to get rid of. Worked perfectly, and stayed on through traveling to two receptions - one in Florida, one in Ohio! I think freezer paper is an excellent choice. That way they can take the blocks to their table and think about what they want to write. It's hard to think up something on the spur of the moment! I had several pens available, as writing on fabric WILL wear them down. I also made a sign, and reminded people that grandparents or children may be reading these notes, so please make appropriate remarks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564546[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4992.jpg   img_3217.jpg  

Last edited by cindi; 12-29-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Putting masking tape on would be time consuming and difficult. What I have done is prepare a "folder" from a manila folder like we used in school or a hanging file folder from a file cabinet. Cut a hole in the center of one side of the folder the size you want your finished block to be in the quilt. Draw a line around that hole so that shows when you open the folder. Open the folder and draw another line at least a half inch from those lines, as in a large seam allowance.

Cut the fabric squares at least that large, maybe a little larger.

When guests come, place the fabric inside the folder to cover those lines. Close the folder and the guest writes on only the part that shows through the "hole". It helps to have an "attendant" at the table where this is being done. You might also want more than one folder to work with when larger groups come in together.

Now you just trim your blocks to the correct dimension with a quarter inch seam allowance, and continue with your quilt.

PS With some groups it may help to say that inappropriate blocks will be rejected.
One important thing I forgot for this method. Glue a piece of very fine sandpaper over the spot where the fabric needs to go inside the folder. Then when you close the folder, it is easier to write on the fabric because the sandpaper holds it in place.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:23 AM

I thought I had read or saw on another sig quilt about making sure to prewash the fabric that will be signed on?? Something about removing all the sizing from the sig fabric, any thoughts on that here or did I dream that thought?? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 AM

I am making a signature block with 5 inch square and jelly roll strips. Can I just prewash the yardage for the signature square or do I have to wash the jelly roll and backing to? If I don't wash the signature yardage will heat setting the ink be enough to keep it from fading when it is washed later?

Last edited by nmckewin; 11-23-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The freezer paper will simply peel off when you're done with the signatures. You will want to peel it off before sewing the blocks together. Fusible interfacing will become a part of the quilt and will make those sections thicker and heavier.

I'd use the freezer paper. It's easy to apply and remove without residue.

Another tip - when writing on signature quilts, non-quilters will oftentimes write to the very edge of the fabric. To prevent this, put masking tape on the seam allowances of the blocks.

HTH
I agree with Peckish but when I did this for my daughter's wedding I just marked with a pencil around the signature block and asked that the guests stay inside the edging line. Good luck

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-23-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Also, forgot to mention about the signature blocks that after I removed the freezer paper I took my iron and heat set the writing
Old 11-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Freezer paper has been the best option I have found for signature block. If I were making a paper foundation block then I would have them secured this way too.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by nmckewin View Post
I am making a signature block with 5 inch square and jelly roll strips. Can I just prewash the yardage for the signature square or do I have to wash the jelly roll and backing to? If I don't wash the signature yardage will heat setting the ink be enough to keep it from fading when it is washed later?

If you wash the signature fabric, it is probably good to wash the backing fabric also. But I wouldn't try to wash the jelly roll fabric, or any other pre cut fabric. The fraying will make a mess, and alter the original precut size.

I think I would prewash the signature fabric just to remove any sizing left in the fabric that could effect the stability and longevity of your ink. So then, I would also wash the backing.

As far as ink fading, it totally depends on what kind of pen you use. I think I would heat set any ink used...just to be sure.
This is an old post originally started in 2016, but the info here is still pretty relevant today.

Please show us your quilt when finished!