Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilt, prewash some or all? >

Signature quilt, prewash some or all?

Signature quilt, prewash some or all?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Default Signature quilt, prewash some or all?

I am making a signature block with 5 inch square and jelly roll strips. Can I just prewash the yardage for the signature square or do I have to wash the jelly roll and backing to? If I don't wash the signature yardage will heat setting the ink be enough to keep it from fading when it is washed later?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:32 AM

I always prewash my fabrics but if you are prewashing the jelly roll strips they may ravel too much and not be the 2 1/2" strips that you are planning on using. Possibly you could steam iron them with a lot of steam but not sure if that would work.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 AM

In this instance I would make the several strip blocks and wash them to check for shrinkage. I have done a number of signature quilts and found that this was a better way. For me the signatures were the most important part of the quilt. After you know how much if any shrinkage you will have you can make your blocks or the entire top and then have the signatures added. Then heat set the signatures well. It is better to lose a little than the whole quilt top.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

i'd be concerned that the sizing, etc in the yardage would cause the siggies to be not so permanent. I'd wash the yardage and steam iron the precuts
Old 11-23-2019, 09:36 AM

How about finishing the whole quilt, batting, backing and binding, washing, press, then signed?
Old 11-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.

I always pre-wash yardage before cutting. I don't buy pre-cuts. I have not made a signature quilt.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I have not made a signature quilt. However I have read comments from many other people who have made them. The general consensus seems to be to pre-wash the fabric that will be signed, then cut it into squares. I would make them a bit larger than you will need for the quilt, to give me the option of centering the signature if necessary. Make cardboard templates to go over the signature squares with an opening the size of the final block (so no one will sign into the seam allowances). Provide pens for signing, and someone to explain how to use the template over the fabric. Make more fabric squares than you will actually need, because some will inevitably be ruined during signing. Either iron the squares to freezer paper or place fine sandpaper under the fabric to keep it in place while the guest signs. I would also provide a practice scrap that guests can scribble on to get the feel of writing on fabric before they sign the real thing. Pigma pens, or other fabric pens must be used. Regular ink pens will fade or run.

Even steam pressing the jelly roll strips can cause shrinkage. I would press it if necessary if with a dry iron, but I
would not wash or steam press it.

This video also has some helpful tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJYOFvmXS4
Old 11-25-2019, 05:59 AM

I did with my yardage for our signature quilt. I was also concerned that any sizing or chemicals that the signatures would not stay. Then I was really concerned, so I embroidered over them. Yea, paranoid but it is a Family Reunion quilt. And every year, it goes to the next oldest first cousin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 21686082_10155130710768198_5186001602708293199_n.jpg   hoping-you-can-see-hand-quilting..jpg  
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM

I made a signature quilt for my daughter's wedding last June. I prewashed and dried the muslin fabric that was used for the signatures. I ironed the muslin to freezer paper, cut them to 5" squares and I then penciled in the 1/4" margin on each square. The freezer paper really helps the muslin be a bit stronger for signatures. Since we had used both charm squares and jelly rolls for the remainder of the quilt - those did not get prewashed. I purchased 108" wide flannel from JoAnns for the backing - and I did not prewash that either. I ironed over every signature block to set the ink. Once it was done, the quilt was thrown into the washer and the dryer. It came out just the way I like it - sort of crinkly and puffy , looks great and my daughter loved it!
Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I did with my yardage for our signature quilt. I was also concerned that any sizing or chemicals that the signatures would not stay. Then I was really concerned, so I embroidered over them. Yea, paranoid but it is a Family Reunion quilt. And every year, it goes to the next oldest first cousin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]620187[/ATTACH]
this turned out great!