Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilts >

Signature quilts

Signature quilts

Old 06-08-2015, 04:37 AM

Default Signature quilts

My daughter wants me to help her with a signature quilt for her wedding. I am going to iron freezer paper to the backs of squares. How long can you leave this freezer paper on the fabric? The wedding is in August , so if I iron the paper onto the squares this month, is that too long to leave it and will the paper be hard to peel off then?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I never have had any problem with removing the paper. Just make sure to make a few extra blocks because there is always someone who makes a mistake. Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 AM

I have leftover fabric/freezer paper squares in my drawer from my daughter's 1997 wedding. I use them for quilt labels and they still work.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 AM

A bit off subject, but something I learned about signature squares. Not all people understand that there has to be room for a quarter inch seam. I did not even think to tell people that and I had several squares that were written right up to the edges. Next time I am going to stitch a long basting stitch around the area I want people to write in. I had thought about using the erasable pins or a pencil, and decided that the thread would be easier to remove. I have had issues with not getting out all the marker lines if I didn't get the quilts finished in a timely manner.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 AM

I took several manila file folders and made a frame on each one with an opening that was 3/4" smaller than the square to be signed. This gave me an 3/8" space on each side and top and bottom. I glued a piece of fine-grit sandpaper where the opening was and wrote out the instructions for positioning the fabric to be signed inside the square. Also, I asked someone who understood and could explain the procedure to other guests to sit at a table and make sure everyone did what they were supposed to do. I did it this way, because I don't have a lot of luck getting freezer paper to stick to fabric. I read and re-read instructions, but I'm either getting the iron too hot or not hot enough, heating the paper / heating the fabric / not heating the paper enough / not heating the fabric enough. For me, sandpaper and a frame was the best solution, and I have a supply of them that I can use forever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521840[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521841[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails file-folder-frame-signature-blocks-2.jpg   file-folder-frame-signature-blocks-1.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I took several manila file folders and made a frame on each one with an opening that was 3/4" smaller than the square to be signed. This gave me an 3/8" space on each side and top and bottom. I glued a piece of fine-grit sandpaper where the opening was and wrote out the instructions for positioning the fabric to be signed inside the square. Also, I asked someone who understood and could explain the procedure to other guests to sit at a table and make sure everyone did what they were supposed to do. I did it this way, because I don't have a lot of luck getting freezer paper to stick to fabric. I read and re-read instructions, but I'm either getting the iron too hot or not hot enough, heating the paper / heating the fabric / not heating the paper enough / not heating the fabric enough. For me, sandpaper and a frame was the best solution, and I have a supply of them that I can use forever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521840[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521841[/ATTACH]
Good idea with the frame!
About the freezer paper problem-- are you buying Freezer paper in the big blue box? I know a couple people who bought wax paper thinking it was the same thing ( but less expensive) it is not the same. Freezer paper has a plastic coating on one side. That plastic will stick to fabric with a medium heat on the iron, peels off without leaving any residue and is reusable numerous times. It has been a staple in my sewing room for 35+ years.
When we made the blocks for my daughter's wedding 15 years ago. I cut the squares a little larger than needed, pressed to the freezer paper, then used painters tape to ( frame each block, ensure a generous seam allowance) the tape also kept the fabric securely attached to the freezer paper. We had a basket of colored micron pigma pens for fine writing and an assortment of permanent fabric paint markers for the creative souls.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM

My friend made a signature quilt for my daughter's wedding and it was small, just about 20" x 20" and just the parents and wedding party, of course, the bride and groom signed it. She has it hanging in her kitchen. It was made before the wedding and quilted and we had no problem signing it. Just an idea for you.

For my DIL's baby shower, I had people sign a piece of fabric and I made that into a quilt. It was the sail boat and the signatures were the boat itself. That turned out good too.