Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
signature wholecloth? >

signature wholecloth?

signature wholecloth?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Unhappy signature wholecloth?

Hello everyone.
Its been a while since I've visited here but since I'm now semi-retired (yippee!!) I'll have more time to get on the computer etc.

I'm in the planning process of a signature quilt for my granddaughter who will be 16.
I gave all the relatives a 12" block of tone-on-tone white fabric to write a message and sign for her. (I wish I'd given them smaller blocks, but too late now).
My daughter (her mother) asked me yesterday to show her the pattern I was going to use and she doesn't like it.
So I got to thinking maybe I'd just make a whole cloth with scalloped edges (sew all the signed blocks together with blank blocks in between...technically it wouldn't be a "whole cloth", but oh well).
I can't quite 'see' it in my head yet so something is missing....or maybe its just a bad plan...lol.
What do you think?
I won't be hurt....tell me the truth.
Thanks in advance!
Karen
Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 AM

Karen, I don't want to cause trouble but, why does your daughter get to choose what pattern you make? It is your gift to "your" granddaughter. If the granddaughter was an infant that might be a different story. At 16 she is becoming an adult and is capable of having her own needs and wants. You might show her some pictures of quilts that include the pattern you had in mind. Her reaction might tell you what she would prefer. After all the quilt is a gift for her and not her mother. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Karen, I don't want to cause trouble but, why does your daughter get to choose what pattern you make? It is your gift to "your" granddaughter. If the granddaughter was an infant that might be a different story. At 16 she is becoming an adult and is capable of having her own needs and wants. You might show her some pictures of quilts that include the pattern you had in mind. Her reaction might tell you what she would prefer. After all the quilt is a gift for her and not her mother. Good luck!
Agreed...you need to discuss with granddaughter, not daughter
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
i think this is a great idea
Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

If you have quite a few 12 inch squares, I might sew them together for the back and find a quilt top she likes for the front. I might just pick a fancy fabric for the front and use that for the whole cloth and outline quilt the fabric design.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:04 PM

I like Tartan's idea. If it isn't going to be a surprise gift to your GD I would ask her what she would like to have.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply.
I agree that my daughter shouldn't be making the decision about the pattern. I think i will show some quilt patterns to my granddaughter and see which one she'd like. Now why didn't I think of that???
I also like Tartan's idea. I never would have come up with that. If my granddaughter gets on the computer and finds a pattern which won't work with the 12" squares, then I'll use the signature blocks as the backing.
Thanks again! You guys are great!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:41 PM

Show her BQ2 pattern, you could add some other colors with the blocks. It takes 12"blocks.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 PM

I would use a nice color around the blocks that would go well for her, even 2 or 3 colors, like 2-1/2" or so. Even a blue jean color, or her school colors. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly48 View Post
Show her BQ2 pattern, you could add some other colors with the blocks. It takes 12"blocks.
BQ2....I don't know what that is