Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silk Wholecloth - Does it Matter What Silk? >

Silk Wholecloth - Does it Matter What Silk?

Silk Wholecloth - Does it Matter What Silk?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM

I have some dupioni silk that I am going to be making a throw out of, with embroidered blocks. My mother has taken loads of classes from the Martha Pullen school, and does alot of the heirloom sewing (with silks and fine linens/cottons) She recommended the following for me:
1. If you want to wash the finished garment after it is complete, you must wash it prior to cutting. So if you want to dry clean, then dry clean the yardage. If you want to wash in washer, then wash the yardage prior. She recommended the "hand wash" option on your machine, with gentle soap. Probably baby soap would be good, they do sell fine heirloom quality soaps as well.
2. Dry till it is slightly damp, not fully dry but not dripping.
3. Iron gently, on back side with cool iron
4. Add a lightweight iron on woven interfacing to the back of the yardage BEFORE you cut. this will keep the fraying in check after cutting.

I helped wash/dry/press and cut some silk batiste that she used to make a dress for my niece. We followed the above recommendations *(except the interfacing, cause we lined with cotton batiste) and it worked out perfectly.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
I want to attempt a silk whole cloth quilt - does it matter what silk I use...aside from price? Can anyone tell me some pro's or cons of the different kinds...and silk versus cotton sateen? Can I mark silk as I normally would with a water eraseable marker? Can I get it WET at all???

Thanks!
I'd look for a fairly heavy, dense fabric. Keep us informed. Sounds like a luxurious undertaking.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadowirish View Post
I have some silk 'panels' that my Dad sent home from Japan in the '40's. There were about 20 of them on a roll (which I have cut apart). My understanding was that it was a factor sample roll. I love to make something out of them,they are to beautiful to not be enjoyed. I'm not sure they would make a very nice quilt as they are not soft and silky feeling but rather kind of grainy and rough. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have some of my husband's grandmother's obi, which are also out of a very stiff silk (we used to call it 'raw silk' but I don't know if that's the actual term). In my opinion, this would not be suitable for a quilt. If you didn't want to cut the panels I would just use some solid color silk and put a couple borders on the panels for wall hangings, or you could join a few with sashing for a table runner or topper. You could also look for a simple pattern with large pieces and again go for a home dec project.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM

UPDATE - I think I may have found the perfect silk. Have any of you heard of Radience fabric by Robert Kaufman? It's something like 55% silk and 45% cotton or something like that...almost half and half. Seems like something that might work well for what I'm doing!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
UPDATE - I think I may have found the perfect silk. Have any of you heard of Radience fabric by Robert Kaufman? It's something like 55% silk and 45% cotton or something like that...almost half and half. Seems like something that might work well for what I'm doing!
i just went to the Robert Kaufman website to check out the Radiance fabrics- they are 55% cotton/45% silk---and i bet would be wonderful for your project! i think i might have to check these out myself. be sure & share pictures & updates on your project we will all be wanting to keep up with your progress