Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silly question, but I need HELP >

Silly question, but I need HELP

Silly question, but I need HELP

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Silly question, but I need HELP

I know this is a silly question and it sound like I'm trying to get out of a lotta work, which I am, But I am making a king size quilt called the double diamond pattern, The main blocks are to be 8 1/2" square. well I either did not cut correctly or did not have true 1/4" seams , so my blocks are not 8 1/2" square. when I go to square them up If I trim off 1/4" from the top of the block as well as the left of the block on all 98 of them do you think it will line up correctly? It also has what they refer to as corner blocks which is a total of 28 blocks, If I take off a total of 1/4" off the same sides of those do you think they will match up OK? In other words in my mind what do I have to loose at this point, a lotta fabric and $$'s that are not the correct size and since each block has 7 strips of fabric I can not make the blocks larger so I can only go smaller. Hope this makes sense and thanks for you help in advance.Dorothy
Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

It's hard to tell without seeing what you have, but I'd think you might loose points if you trim too much. If you can show us a picture, we can probably tell you more.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Not sure without a picture. Are your blocks square, just not 8.5", or are they not a square shape or both? If they are roughly square, but not 8.5", you could find the smallest one and then trim them all down to that size. Normally, you would need to trim the same amount off all 4 sides to keep the block centered, but again, need a link to the picture of the quilt or a pic of the blocks. If they are just out of square, you can try ironing them into submission.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Hey, I have this pattern! It was the first one I bought four years ago when I started quilting, and I decided it was too hard for me and didn't make it. I may be brave enough to try it now.

BUT, I thought looking at my pattern would help answer your question, and it doesn't. I can just tell you what I would do, which is just what you suggested, square them all up the same size. However, rather than cut 1/4 inch off of two sides, have you considered cutting a bit off of each side instead. That would leave you with the basic shape that you were after. It would be more trouble though.

At any rate, you can just decide that your design won't quite match the one you started to make and go with it. You can call it "creative changes." I suspect it would still look good.

Pictures would help though...anyone wanting to google the pattern....assuming I really have the right one... it is Diamond Double designed by Daniela Stout.

Dina
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM

If I'm interpreting the block shape right, from the pictures I found on the internet, you essentially have 1/2 log cabin block. 2 edges have long strips, and 2 edges are made up of hte ends of strips (hope that makes sense). Cut the "end" edges and things should still line up. If you cut the edges that are strips, you'll end with narrower strips and I don't think it will look right.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
If I'm interpreting the block shape right, from the pictures I found on the internet, you essentially have 1/2 log cabin block. 2 edges have long strips, and 2 edges are made up of hte ends of strips (hope that makes sense). Cut the "end" edges and things should still line up. If you cut the edges that are strips, you'll end with narrower strips and I don't think it will look right.
Yes, I believe this will work! Krista, what good thinking!

Dorothy, read what she has said carefully...it makes sense, right? You can do this. Now go save that quilt!

Dina
Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Yes Krista you have hit the nail on the head by trimming the edges at the ends of the strips I can get an 8 1/4" square thanks so much I will post pictures when this disaster is finished
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dordee View Post
Yes Krista you have hit the nail on the head by trimming the edges at the ends of the strips I can get an 8 1/4" square thanks so much I will post pictures when this disaster is finished
By the way, for the corner blocks (the solid ones in this photo I assume: http://cozyquilt.com/ImagesProduct/CQD01032.png), I would leave them uncut. Sew them on as centered as you can, and trim them afterwards. I always do that with corner triangles like that.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM

That quilt looks really hard! glad I don't have it on my to do list!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Wow.. looks challenging.. Kudos to you.. IM a chicken.. lol