Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simple question for today >

Simple question for today

Simple question for today

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pete
Originally Posted by featherweight
I use my 1/4 inch foot with guide, whatever size that is.
Scant or 1/4.???
How do you do a scant using a 1/4 inch foot???????
Just don't push the fabric so far to the right, just skim the edge of the foot.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I start out with a scant 1/4" and usually I will make a sample block.
Some patterns require the scant and some don't, many don't state which to use lol. I would rather start with a scant and resew a seam, than rip out a 1/4" to sew a scant :wink: :D:D:D
Me, too!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I try to use scant and the blocks never come out the right size, they don't come out the right size when I use a bigger size seam either. Question, how would I who is sewing challenged make a block that is the size its suppose to be? Do I cut it a scant bigger and sew it from there, do I cut all the pieces bigger and then cut it down to size what works. I am really tired of trying to make this work and it doesn't. I have been struggling with this very problem for yrs. I sew, measure again and its never the right size, what am I doing wrong?Thanks for any help you can give a very challenged person here. I do sew very carefully and when I get done its never never the size it says its suppose to be. HELP....
First, check to make sure you are cutting as accurately as possible. Then sew using a scant 1/4". The next part is probably where the problem is: press very carefully! Make sure you "set" your seam by pressing a moment on the side you sewed on. Then open up and press on the right side. Make extra sure that there are no tiny little pleats. I use the edge of the iron to nudge the seam a bit without distorting. (I also don't use steam at this point because I tend to distort with steam.)

I teach Learn to Quilt classes and in July we were making a red, white and blue striped table runner. There were 12 narrow strips total. One of my students was quite upset because her project came out over an inch too narrow. There was actually nothing wrong with her project...she just hadn't "teased open" all those seams, and she lost more than a full inch! Once properly pressed, her table runner was exactly right! Good luck...accuracy takes time to develop. Hope this helps. (Sorry to be so long-winded!)
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM

I used to do regular 1/4. And even though I would cut a tad wide, all my blocks would end being 1/4-1/2" short on a 8-12" block. Which wasn't bad, since they were uniform. I asked on here, and the gals suggested I try a scant (by moving my needle one click to the right. I didn't even need to change). Now I'm getting the right size! I just had a quilt top designed to finish at 48.5" x 60.5" and IT DID!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Scant. I don't think it would be weaker by one less thread width.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 AM

I use both, whether I mean to or not! LOL I am not the Queen of Accuracy unfortunately. I try, I try.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Scant for me too
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 AM

I use the scant 1/4 in most of the time.

What dictates which you use it the fabric. If a lighter weight or less thread count fab you use the 1/4 in but if a heavier fabric like bitiques you use the scant 1/4 in.

Think you have how many thickness of fabric + tx's the thickness of your thread. If you have a lot of seams in a block it will be off. And a scant seam is just as strong ad the 1/4 in. There is only a thread difference.

You need to make a sample of the blks to decide which one to use before just jumping into the whole thing...

Just a little thing that can make a huge difference.

Happy Quilting
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM

Hey I was always sewing over sized 1/4" seams. I've just gotten to the point where I have them at 1/4". Probably will never be scant. lol.