Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A simple warning!

Blog Entries
    I like surge protectors and power strips with shut offs.

Thanks for the warning!

I save all cords from appliciances that have died and have saved iron cords from my friends whose irons have died but not from bad cords and reuse them to give new life to an otherwise broken appliance

Blog Entries
    I have all my sewing room cords plugged into surge protector multi outlet strips and turn them off when not in use. I think this would solve the problem of cord wear and tear of unplugging. I have a lamp plugged in with my iron so I don't forget to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
    Thanks for the warning! After reading several previous blogs about irons catching fire, I now always unplug my iron and from now on will check the cords over periodically also.

Years ago I had a toaster that I kept plugged in all the time. Was walking past it and smelled hot wood. It was the toaster and was burning the wood inside the wall. An electrician said that there was nothing wrong with the wiring in the wall, that it was the plug on the toaster. Learned my lesson. We could have lost our home.

It is always a smart thing to unplug everything from the wall if you are not using it!! No matter what it is, even if it is in the off position it is still pulling electricity. Therefore, you are keeping your electric bill higher and running the risk of "fire". I am so glad you were home, and so glad your heart is now back in your chest where it belongs!!! lol!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

I have been told by many that most small electrical 'appliances' like irons, blenders and etc. are not meant to be plugged into an extension cord. I realize this incident had nothing to do with the extension cord, but I have followed that 'rule of thumb'.

understand about irons

Several years ago my mom was taking care of my grandmothers house after she passed. Well, mom has always turned off the iron but left it plugged in. She came to visit me about an hour away; before she got to my house I got a call that Grandmas house was on fire. The iron cord was melted to the wall of origin.
    So you can guess, I use a surge protector and still unplug iron and turn off power cord. It is the last thing I unplug as I leave my sewing room at home. About the toaster, a principal's family back home in WV lost the kitchen to his home b/c of the coffee pot so same idea. So the microwave is the only small appliance I leave plugged in in the kitchen. I put those little cup hooks in the wall or cabinets near the item and when I unplug it hangs over the cup hook so I can do a quick visual sweep before leaving each day. As always I thank you folks for the information. Teresa

Oh my! Thanks for the reminder warning. Irons can be scary.

Very scary Tammy! I'm glad you, your heart, and your house are safe! I unplug my iron and have the issue about it being so hard to unplug, it can work the outlet loose. Hubby had to remove the plate from the receptacle and tighten the screws in there. The contractor was supposed to do that when he built the house but we noticed most of them were loose!

Maybe we should decide clothes look better with wrinkles and do away with the scary irons! j/k of course.
    :-)
    CAS

Thanks for the reminder. We use many items with electrical cords, not only in the sewing area but just about every other area in our homes.

My ironing cord lays on the countertop in my sewing room. I can see all of it while I'm sewing. I turn it off when not in use. Thanks for the warning.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I unplug my irons all the time when I'm done using them. And that's part of the reason I'm having cord issues with both of my irons now! It's the extra wear/tear on the plug/cord connection. But I'll still unplug. Just got used to doing that when my dogs had access to wherever I happened to be ironing. Don't care if there's an auto shut-off. Never know what the 4 legged creatures might get spooked by, jump up and knock it over. Not taking chances here.
    To eliminate wear on the iron cord from plugging and unplugging, I bought one of those hard plastic 3 outlet multiplier things. I leave my iron plugged into it all the time. I plug in the multiplier and unplug it instead of the iron. I also have a blue nightlight plugged into it so if the light is on, I remember to unplug that handy gadget and know that if the light is off, so is the iron and there is no wear on the iron cord and plug since it stays plugged in.

Good advice to check those cords. Many years ago I had set my hair and dried it under a dryer at home (remember those days, girls?). I happened to look at the tube of air going up to my head and it was on fire! I was able to act quickly and put out the small fire on the tube. We have to be careful in this day and age too, where things are being made more cheaply.

Yikes. That is scary about the Rowenta. I have used them for years, but never any problem. I always unplug mine when I leave the sewing room.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Wow, thanks for the reminder that we need to be careful.

I am looking to buy a new iron. Prices vary so much. I want an iron to use in my quilting. Any suggestions. I had bought a Shark about 6 months ago and all of a sudden it leaks water from the bottom when I use it. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the warning, also check your hair dryers. I was drying my hair and all of a sudden a flash fire burnt my hand for some reason it shorted out and I checked the wire and nothing was showingand I checked the back for any dust . Maybe from wrapping the cord around it time after time it could have caused it to catch fire. My hand was burned and it also hurt like you know what. So remember to check everything on all electrical appliances.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tammy Good to know.
    SHIRLEY

I'm always checking the cords on items
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Glad you are okay! Thanks for the reminder....
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2