Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Simplicity Bias maker

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    central fl
    Posts
    137
    Does anyone use the simplicity bias maker and do you like it? I am considering getting one and would like opinions. Do you always have to cut your strips on the bias or will it work for straight of grain? I think cutting on bias wastes fabric unless you are binding curves. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,233
    I have it and love it! I almost never cut on the bias and it has no problem with straight of grain. It's a real time saver.

  3. #3
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....

  4. #4
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have it and it does a great job. I bought the 2 1/2" tip so I can make the double fold straight binding. I take a few hours and make up lots binding in different prints and colors. It's a real time saver.

  5. #5
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....
    Have you tried folding it in half with the raw edges on one edge rather than meeting in the middle? You still get double layer on the edge and your raw edge will be hidden anyway when you sew it down.

  6. #6
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....
    Have you tried folding it in half with the raw edges on one edge rather than meeting in the middle? You still get double layer on the edge and your raw edge will be hidden anyway when you sew it down.
    Yes, that is what I was trying to saying,,,,,but not too well.

  7. #7
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I have it and love it! I almost never cut on the bias and it has no problem with straight of grain. It's a real time saver.
    will it just fold in half and iron, rather than fold to middle....do you have to pre-iron your seams flat before running thru....

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    central fl
    Posts
    137
    Thanks for all the responses. I have a coupon for JoAnnes for 40% off plus an additional 30% total. It makes the total less than $50. I am still thinking whether it would be worth it. I usually just cut strip, fold in half and then sew on, then turn over and sew down. Will need to make a decision soon since my coupons expire this week.

  9. #9
    Super Member Deborahlees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country-Southern California
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by susanlh
    Thanks for all the responses. I have a coupon for JoAnnes for 40% off plus an additional 30% total. It makes the total less than $50. I am still thinking whether it would be worth it. I usually just cut strip, fold in half and then sew on, then turn over and sew down. Will need to make a decision soon since my coupons expire this week.
    I think you would be better servered using that money on fabric....I don't think (IMHO) that they will honor both coupons on the one item....

  10. #10
    Junior Member sew1096's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    286
    I love mine. I use it alot to make the 1/4" strips for appliqued vines.

  11. #11
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Almost always cut straight on grain (across)...only time I do bias is if binding is going on a curve. I use the binding tips on my ironing board, much more cost effective....however next binding I am not even use them but fold in half and then fold in half. Theory is, where the wear is, on the edge will be double fold, as compared to single layer only if rare edges are folded to center and then folded again.....Took some thinging to kinda work it thru in your head....but does work....am also going to get a pair of thermal thimbles to protect my fingers.....
    This is called french binding when doubled. If a quilt is going to be used it really helps with wear. Wall hangings can stand the single fold and keeps them lighter in weight
    so there is less draging it down.

    There was an earlier tip on the QB about not ironing the fabric in half before sewing it on the quilt. Just fold the binding as you sew it onto the quilt. And then as you bring the binding to the back to stitch it down there is a nice curve around the edge of the quilt and you don't have to fight with the ironed pleat going crooked on you as you sew it to the back. I tried this and really liked it. I will hunt for the post and reference for it everyone.

    EDIT: I tried searching for it and found lots of people who don't iron their binding. Do a search on binding and you will get lots of great stuff! I think simple is best!
    peace

  12. #12
    Senior Member cny_sewer39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    Posts
    740
    My husband bought me one for Christmas last year. I used it to make the binding for a "Wallet Purse" pattern. It saved me soooo much time. I LOVE IT!!! I would recommend it to every1 & any1. I really would LOVE the deluxe model, but no funds to buy it. ;-( ;-( I have been a really good girl, maybe Santa will bring me one??? :lol: :lol:


    debra

  13. #13
    Junior Member Camping Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Golden State
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I have it and love it! I almost never cut on the bias and it has no problem with straight of grain. It's a real time saver.
    will it just fold in half and iron, rather than fold to middle....do you have to pre-iron your seams flat before running thru....
    I believe that is what the quilt binding tips will do. I have the machine with the regular tips, but I don't have a quilt binding tip, so I can't say for positive.

  14. #14
    Junior Member Camping Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Golden State
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by susanlh
    Does anyone use the simplicity bias maker and do you like it? I am considering getting one and would like opinions. Do you always have to cut your strips on the bias or will it work for straight of grain? I think cutting on bias wastes fabric unless you are binding curves. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
    As far as wasting fabric, if you start with a square piece of fabric you will not waste any fabric. (Except for maybe a small strip on the end.) Here is a tutorial that has helped me a lot:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeTt9...eature=related

    Indygo Junction also has the written instructions for this method.

  15. #15
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    That's the cost of it at Walmart before the coupons! Buy it at Walmart and save the coupons for something else.

  16. #16
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    I use mine, it was a gift, Love it. But I have to admit. Unless I'm doing a curved edge I prefer just to fold my binding in half.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North country Wisc.
    Posts
    303
    I'm so scared of doing binding that I always have my LA person do it for me!!!

  18. #18
    Super Member DonnaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,521
    I definitely love and use my bias maker. It's a real time-saver! And it gets really hot and presses the binding properly, which is nice.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    central fl
    Posts
    137
    Does it only make single fold binding? I always use double.

  20. #20
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Just make sure that you can use the coupon on that item. I tried to buy a case to hold spools that go with one of the Simplicity items and was told that the coupons could not be used for that as it was considered sewing machine department merchandise. Hopefully, the coupon will work for you.

  21. #21
    Senior Member connie_1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    mesa and payson, arizona
    Posts
    805
    Blog Entries
    3
    love mine

  22. #22
    Junior Member Camping Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Golden State
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by susanlh
    Does it only make single fold binding? I always use double.
    After running fabric through the first time, I fold in half and run it manually through the heat press, by passing the tip. Hope this makes sense. Maybe someone has an easier way to make double fold.

  23. #23
    Member grammagayle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    63
    Blog Entries
    1
    I understood what you meant Deborah!!!!! You did ok!!!! :)

  24. #24
    Senior Member CAJAMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    600
    I won the bias maker in a blog giveaway a few months ago. I never knew what I was missing! It is well worth it!!

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    altamont NY
    Posts
    1,257
    Consider making binding very easy often can get it done and on in an am before off to work. Not looking for more gadgets no room,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.