Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simply Quilts show >

Simply Quilts show

Simply Quilts show

Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I thought I wanted a rotating mat but decided I could buy the smallest cutting mat and turn it myself! :lol: It works and is a whole lot cheaper and easier to store when not in use.
My biggest concern, really, was ME cutting on a ROTATING surface! :mrgreen: Didn't seem like a good idea :!: Fun! but not safe!!!
well if yer gonna factor safety and common sense into the equation, yer gonna take all the fun out of it.
:lol:
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 AM

I'm sorry! :oops: Don't ban me from the club. Please :!: I promise to spin my mat faster while using the rotary cutter at full speed ahead with both machines going as fast as they're little wheels can spin! :P :P
Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Debbie Murry.....PLEASE write to the company that made that item.
We should not put up with products that do not hold up or work as they are intended to work.

I know that Fiskars will replace or refund. They have been very good to give new products. Find them on the web. They should not be selling inferior products but they will never know unless we tell them.

June
Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I'm sorry! :oops: Don't ban me from the club. Please :!: I promise to spin my mat faster while using the rotary cutter at full speed ahead with both machines going as fast as they're little wheels can spin! :P :P
while making me a chicken salad sandwich, i hope.
:wink:
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 AM

June 6995 my mat is 4 years old and it's been in use quite often. I think it's time to buy a new one. Mines alittle ratty anyway. All the cutting lines have deep groves and fab stick all the time. Thanks for your suggestion but I doubt if they'll give me a new one.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:07 AM

My first mat was a fiscars, it was scarred after the first use. In a months time it was a mess. I went to the fiscars web and contacted them. I didn't get as much as a sorry from them. There are several discussions on rotary mats here; almost everyone recomends olfa. You can read through them......click on search and type in cutting mats ect. Good luck and sorry you had such bad luck :(
Old 03-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had just made the purchase.

Something you can do is write to the manufacturer and ask about the proper care of your mat. Fiskars told me to "roll" the mat to open the cuts and use a brush to brush out the lint from fabric. Elsewhere I read that using dull blades and putting too much pressure on the cutter, can and will make deep grooves in the mat. This can be remedied only by changing blades. I found I was tightening the nut on my rotary cutter too tight, and the blade did not roll freely. Another hint...you can use the other side of your mat since it is the same material all the way through. Get double your usage if you don't use the lines on the mat for measuring.

Then, if you want a good buy on rotary cutter blades, here is an idea:

http://www.houseofhanson.com/lpsharp.html

I have used this service. I sent 10 old blades and got 10 new OLFA blades (not resharpened blades as they were in sealed packages) I bought mine about a year ago and paid $27 for 10 45" blades. I think the price has gone up. But still, as sharp as those blades are, I was afraid to throw them out in the trash, so saving them in a container proved to be a good idea.

June
Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 PM

I usually shop at www.connectingthreads.com most of their items are deeply discounted.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:43 AM

I have an Olfa rotary turntable mat that works great. I'm not sure that's the one shown on Simply Quilts, but it works, and it's on sale at Joanns.com right now for about $26.00 : http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$J35GEWYAAKKVKP4SY5NBHOR50 LD3OEPO?CATID=136095&PRODID=102600&source=search

They also sell the acrylic rulers. If the show was the one with Eleanor Burns, she also sells the Quilt In A Day rulers on her site:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/rulers.asp

good luck!
sue
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Did you notice the Quilt In A Day has some pretty good prices on her sale fabrics too? I'm going shopping!