Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Since I've Become A Quilter... >

Since I've Become A Quilter...

Since I've Become A Quilter...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Since I have become a quilter, there is thread on everything.

My husband even can talk "quilt language' - good or bad? ha.. however, for my birthday, Christmas and other holidays I receive Gift Cards from hubby - for quilting. As Martha would say "this is a good thing"!

I agree, I would never have paid $7+ dollars a yard for fabric prior to quilting - now I don't even bat an eyelash.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Since I have become a quilter, I have forgiven my stepmother, for getting rid of my 'gift quilt' from when I was in high school. I have quit buying shoddy store quilts, got rid of every fuzzy blanket in my home, AND learned what real nice cotton feels like, so I quit buying cheap sheets! :thumbup:
Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Since I've become a quilter, my Mom has a lot more to talk to me about!

Since I've become a quilter, I have a lot FEWER UFO's.

Since I've become a quilter, my DH has become a very grumpy old man!

Since I've become a quilter, I've noticed how few and far between the LQS's are!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 AM

Since I've become a quilter my life is a little brighter.

I have drawers full of beautiful, colorful fabric.

I look at clothes and think 'ooh that fabric would look nice in a quilt'.

We don't eat at the kitchen table anymore because my sewing machine lives there.

And yes, my floor too is home to dust bunnies and bits of thread. In fact just this afternoon I looked at my lounge room carpet and said 'I really should vacuum this' before grabbing my WIP and playing around with some borders :lol:

Oh, and I recently found this great quilting forum full of friendly, welcoming people, and they are sooo talented :mrgreen:
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 AM

Since I became a quilter, I'm still saving up to buy new, low-flush toilets, but the fabric shop seems to get the money instead. Go figure!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 AM

Since I started quilting it has permeated every room in my home except for the bathrooms and kitchen. Everywere I turn there is quilting stuff and my house is not nearly as neat as it used to be. Wreaks havoc with the bank account too. I'm sure if I were married that my "DH" would probably sue for divorce too.

Forgot to mention all my nice experiences on this program and having joined a quilt guild through one of my neighbors that has become one of my best friends. We get together once a week when possible and just quilt and gab, but we do other stuff as well. I wish I had started this hobby???? a long time ago because by now I could have been an expert.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by colwoods
You've mentioned them all but one. Since I became a quilter my husband has lost his vision completely - only sees light. As bad as that is, there's a good side. He can't see if I don't have on make-up or still have on pjs, he can't see when I bring in more fabric, he doessn't see the dust or the crumbs on the floor, and doesn't see the mess in the sewing room (otherwise known as the fabric storeroom). I now sew on the dining room table so I can see him and be near when he needs sometning. Because he can't be alone (dementia)I don't get to go shopping often and that saves money. However, I am getting a lot of sewing done.
I went through the same thing with my hubby, but, unfortunately I had not yet gotten the quilting bug. You are very wise doing what you are doing. You have my good wishes for both you and your husband.

PS: Don't forget to take care of yourself, I didn't and I am paying the price today.

Hugs,

Kate
Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Since I became a quilter, I now combine fabrics that I would never wear together! However these fabrics make a fabulous quilt!! :roll:
Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Quilters you said it all I have been quilting for so many
years and love it every day,of my life, and will never get
tired of, quilting, this is the beast you can get love love
quilting enjoy it every one.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LanaCindy
Since I became a quilter I have decluttered junk in the house, cleaned out drawers and closets, given away nicknacks....BUT....I have filled them with quilting stuff. I even put my bed on lifts so I could put boxes of quilting items under it.
That's exactly what I do!!!

Since I became a quilter:

when my daughter asks which shirt goes best with pants, I start analyzing the lights/darks and tones and wow factor, she just looks at me like I've come from another planet,

my husband cooks more

I hate going in to watch TV (so I can spend time with my husband--love the husband) so I picked up hand quilting so I can still quilt while being sociable

wished my husband still had the job where he came home after six than the one he has now when he's home at two in the afternoon

have had the great pleasure of quilting with two of my grandkids

have a hobby that fills my soul, calms my anxieties and stretches my brain