Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 4452 thread problem >

Singer 4452 thread problem

Singer 4452 thread problem

Old 03-10-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Singer 4452 thread problem

I have a Singer 4452 that was kindly gifted to me - first "new" machine I have ever had. I like that you can thread it all the way to the needle without having to poke the thread through anything, however I have a problem with the upper thread tension lever (thing that goes up and down). The thread will break and when I look the thread is wrapped twice around the hole instead of just going through once (thus tightening up the thread causing it to break.)

I'm going to call Singer tomorrow, has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
...(thing that goes up and down). The thread will break and when I look the thread is wrapped twice around the hole instead of just going through once (thus tightening up the thread causing it to break.)

I'm going to call Singer tomorrow, has anyone else had this problem?
I think you are talking about the take-up lever. I do not have this machine, but I'm a firm believer of the saying "when all else fails, read the manual" LOL. I downloaded the manual from https://manuals.singer.com/Manuals/RetrievePDF/819 On page 33 of that pdf are the instructions for threading the machine. The instructions are very specific about the needle position and presser foot position with the warning that if the instructions are not followed correctly - "several sewing problems could result." It sounds like it is possible that the thread isn't sitting properly in the tension discs that are hidden, which might be because the presser foot is down.

I got the manual from https://www.singer.com/heavy-duty-4452-sewing-machine They also have some videos and other info on that page, but you will need to click on the + sign to get to the Manuals, Quick Guides, Videos

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-10-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-11-2022, 04:35 AM

that's what I did, normally it makes a good stitch, but just every so often the thread wraps itself around an extra 2x. Presser foot is always up when I thread the machine.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:08 AM

My first thought was the thread was hitting a snag somewhere along the path. Since most thread is now cross wound and your machine is horizontal, it isn't catching like on the notch that the old spools had.

Have you changed the thread and needle? I have heard of needles that have a burr in the eye. I know that sometimes the troubleshooting guides in the manuals aren't that helpful, but perhaps there is something on page 81 of the pdf might be helpful. It is hard to troubleshoot when the problem is random.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-11-2022 at 06:12 AM.