Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: singer 7430

Does anyone know anything about this machine. It is on sale at a great price and I am wondering if it is a good machine. I really need a new machine as mine is the bottom of the line and I am wearing it out. What does everyone think. Should I buy or wait for something better.

Sorry, don't know anything about this one. I would assume it would be fine since Singer usually puts out good quality merchandise.

Banned
    Singers are not as good as they used to be. I would save and get a decent Elna or a Janome.
    It will just wear out as yours is doing.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Singer used to be a good name but I sure wouldn't want one now. Quality has really gone down hill. I agree with quilter101. Save your money and get a Janome for not much more if any more.

Be sure it has all the features you need. I needed needle down and the foot automatically comes up so you can turn the fabric. It has a stay stitch at the beginning and end of sewing and that is a great feature too.
    I paid 1100 hundred for my machine but it has come down alot since it first came out. It does have one major flaw. The feed dogs are too wide for the 1/4 in foot so it jurks to the left. I had to buy an edging foot instead. So I do not recommend the H. Viking Sapphire.

If you like this machine, I suggest you find the local authorized dealer for Singer sewing machines and ask them to let you try it out. Check out the specifics of the limited warranty and if all is a go.......then go for it.

I am leary of Brother machines myself. I suspect a lot of people who dislike Singers these days have never owned one and are going by what they have heard, not witnessed for themselves. I have on the other hand been using Singers since I began sewing as a child and still have that machine that belonged to my mom. I also have my aunt's Touch and Sew and the one my hubby bought me in 1979. So yes I love Singers....lol. It's a matter of taste and the features that you want. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    one of my machines is a singer ingenuity 7436 that performs quite adequately. my only complaint is that it's so poorly lit. it's otherwise a good machine for the price i paid.

i looked at the features and accessory lists for the 7430 at the singer website. it includes none of the special features that come in most handy while working on quilts. (needle up/down is the one i miss most when using my own singer. also doesn't offer adjustable foot pressure.) it doesn't include any of the feet that are most useful in quilting, either. unless the "great price" is no more than $200, i think you should keep looking.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I have owned a singer and won't get another. Just my opinion. Maybe I had a lemon. Saying that, I love my featherweight.

Banned
    I also have a singer, one of the newer ones, that was about 100 or so. I don't know, it was given to me.
    It works but it is not a long term machine. The vintage, are awesome.

My mom got a new Singer in the 1950's. It is still sewing today & does a great job. I bought a Singer in the late 1960's & first it was fine, but in a few years it was terrible. Luckily, my dh knew how much I loved sewing & bought an Elna. It was a great machine. Then I saw a demo on a Jamone a few years ago & just had to have it. I now have a Janome 6600 & am so glad I bought it. Trying to machine quilt with the little bigger area is so worth it. Like someone else said, Singers are not the machine they once were. If you can afford something better, I would go for.

Personally, I would buy a lower end Elna versus a Singer. Singer's aren't what they used to be. They are all plastic, and will not hold up. They also advertise "heavy duty school" (or something similar), definitely stay away from those.

I bought a singer, very basic, in 1977. It weighs a ton but it's a workhorse, it sews through anything. My mom is using it right now. She has a White and is that ever a piece of work......several others I know that have them say the same thing.

If it were me buying a new machine, it would be a brother or janome. I have an elna and like it alot.

Good luck and happy machine shoping.

For what it's worth... I bought a 7462... and then a couple months later, a 7430. I LOVE this unit. Yes, as with many, the lighting around the needle is poor. Bought a floor lamp which I can direct to the sewing plate and that greatly improved view of my work. The feed disengages so you can stipple. Made grandsons Christmas quilts and monogrammed their names/date/personal message. They thought that was cool. I've sewn some 7 quilts and other projects and have had no problem with this unit. For the money you spend, the features you get, I would recommend it.

I bought a Singer a year ago and it broke down in 8 months. And can't get it fixed. There went $600 down the drain. I would never buy another one. I ended up buying a Husqvarna Viking and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCMtnHigh
    For what it's worth... I bought a 7462... and then a couple months later, a 7430. I LOVE this unit. Yes, as with many, the lighting around the needle is poor. Bought a floor lamp which I can direct to the sewing plate and that greatly improved view of my work. The feed disengages so you can stipple. Made grandsons Christmas quilts and monogrammed their names/date/personal message. They thought that was cool. I've sewn some 7 quilts and other projects and have had no problem with this unit. For the money you spend, the features you get, I would recommend it.
    It's nice to hear from someone who has a Singer 7430. I sew quilt a bit. Do you think it will hold up to alot of use. I would love to have the embroidery abilities ( letters and numbers ). That would be really cool. And the price is right.

Banned
    Singer doesn't make the machines anymore, that's why older ones are better than newer ones. The manufacturer is not the same and poorer quality.

I've had no problem with my 7430. My only issue is the poor lighting which I've found to be a common among all machines. I like the feature that disengages feed dogs so you can stipple. I'm working on free form quilting and this sure allows you to do that. And, you have capability of twin needles which I really like to order to embellish place mats, napkins, smaller projects. All I can tell you is my experience with the 7430. It's been great so far.

http://www.svpworldwide.com/

Interesting, don't you think?