Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 9100 >

Singer 9100

Singer 9100

Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Default Singer 9100

I am thinking of getting a Singer Professional 9100. Does anyone have an opinion of that machine? I've read a lot of reviews, and they are mixed. Except for the number of built in stitches, I can t find the difference between the 9100 and the 2010. Any suggestions or comments?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I always check Amazon for reviews. Here is a link to the 9100:
http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Profess...dp/B00EXSTMBS/

I would just say that the "Professional" in the name is pure marketing. This is a $300 or less machine, so is considered low-end. In that price point, I would normally not look at a Singer at all as their current reputation is pretty bad, especially for tension issues. I would be looking at Brother machines instead.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I, unfortunately agree with Prism99. I had a Singer in the 70s but I upgrade to a Bernina in the 90s. They really are not a quality sewing machine anymore. When shopping for a DSM, you need to get to a quilt show where you can actually test drive these machines. You need to find out what works best for you and your budget.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:20 PM

I also agree with Prism and Maniac, I, personally wouldn't buy ANY new Singer and especially so in the low end department, but would gladly buy any Singer older than a 70's.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will reconsider my options. ��
Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Singer 2662 about 10-15 years ago and have had no problems. I paid $200.00 at the time and have sewn real leather on it. Much is about maintenance. If you take care of a machine like you're suppose to and follow the manual, breakdown is usually user error.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 AM

I have a Singer 2010 Touch Tronic machine. I used it for years & years & then one day DH went into a quilt shop with me & we walked out with a Janome 7330 Magnolia. There are features on each machine that I like. I wish I could combine the two together & I would have everything that makes me happy.

On my Singer I love:
The little warning light that lets you know you are low on bobbin thread
The fact that you can thread the bobbin without removing it from the bobbin case
I have more area in the harp section for easier threading, etc.
Strong machine
Don't have to hold down the reverse button the whole time I'm reversing.

On my Janome I love:
The needle down feature
The fact that I can slow down/speed up the stitching (it's not a stitch regulator but allows you to go slow when you need to)

Actually, I like more features on the Singer than on the Janome but I have put away the Singer & use the Janome full time (unless it's in the shop).....don't want DH to think I didn't appreciate what he did for me.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:09 PM

I bought a secondhand Singer a few years ago, and I love it. I think I will try the 9100. Bernini and Janome are just too expensive for me. The 9100 is on sale at Walmart, and if I have a problem with it or just don't like it, Walmart has an awesome return policy. I'll post my opinion. Wish me luck. Thank you all for responding and offering advice.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 PM

I wish you luck and fun with your new sewing machine.....read the manual and dig in!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM

I got the 9100 for Christmas. It was missing the foot pedal, so we exchanged that one for another. At first I hated it. It skipped stitches, and that was one of the cons I had been reading about on this machine, and I also had a tension issue. So I took a deep breath, poured a cup of coffee, and went to work learning the machine. I spent a whole day going through the manual. I "played" with it for a few hours, I threaded and retreaded, I adjusted the top tension from 0 to 9 and when I changes the needle all the problems just desolved. The set screw on the needle was set so tight at the factory that I thought I was going to have to get help getting it undone. Since that one little ahha moment the machine has ran beautifully. No skipping. No problems. I love it. It is a cheap machine, but although I sew pretty much everyday, I am only sewing for myself and my family. If I were a professional seamstress or quilter I would buy a more expensive machine, but this one is great for me. Again thank you all for the comments and opinions.