Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Quantum L-500 >

Singer Quantum L-500

Singer Quantum L-500

Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Carol, if you plan to drop the feed dogs for any reason, try lowering and raising the feed dogs a few times. I got this machine from HSN when it first came out a year or so ago but after lowering the feed dogs a few times, the latch wouldn't raise them anymore. I could manually push the feed dogs up with my fingers and they would click and stay up, but the lever wouldn't work so I returned it and got my money back. I'm sure I just had a bit of a lemon, but since that happened to me I thought I'd pass the info on. Enjoy your new machine!

Suzy
Had you read the instructions in the manual on page 48? It states "Sliding the lever to the down position will lower the feed dog, to resume normal sewing slide the level up. NOTE: Turn the handwheel one complete cycle to return the feed dog to the raised position.

I tested it and that is how it must be done. When you push the button to up position or raised position you then must turn the hand wheel one complete turn to get the feet to raise.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Immediate differences I have found so far just reading the manual and experimenting are how fast and easy it threads bobbins and fact it stops bobbin when full. The machine itself is very quiet which really surprised me. The bobbins are also wider than any others I've seen on various machines. Bobbins also do not have that little hole we use to push thread thru at least onces they sent with the machine. Books says to wind thread around bobbin couple times than hit start and bobbin will wind and it works. Although I ordered a bag of 20 bobbins for this machine and those have the little hole to push thread through and works fine as well.

More later about this machine.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM

Anyone happen to know where I can buy the extension table for this machine for less than $99.00?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 AM

clsurz, I just love my Singer's too! Mine all do what they are supposed to and are very durable. I am with you, I will probably be a Singer person always. I also have a Brother and a Kenmore, but Singers are my favorites.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
Had you read the instructions in the manual on page 48? It states "Sliding the lever to the down position will lower the feed dog, to resume normal sewing slide the level up. NOTE: Turn the handwheel one complete cycle to return the feed dog to the raised position.
Truthfully, I can't remember now if I read the manual or not. I do remember that it worked for a while but then it didn't work any more. I wasn't meaning to bash Singer or the machine, I just wanted to give you a heads up just in case yours did the same thing. I also have a Singer 9940 that I really like and has caused me no problems whatsoever. I guess I was leary of paying that much money and having a lemon since they were new to the market and I was close to the end of the trial period.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Suzy
Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
Immediate differences I have found so far just reading the manual and experimenting are how fast and easy it threads bobbins and fact it stops bobbin when full. The machine itself is very quiet which really surprised me. The bobbins are also wider than any others I've seen on various machines. Bobbins also do not have that little hole we use to push thread thru at least onces they sent with the machine. Books says to wind thread around bobbin couple times than hit start and bobbin will wind and it works. Although I ordered a bag of 20 bobbins for this machine and those have the little hole to push thread through and works fine as well.

More later about this machine.
I forgot to mention--one quirk about this machine is that it signals that the bobbin is out very early. I probably could piece another 10 blocks before it is actually empty. That's the only problem I have with it--not enough reason to be dissatisfied.