Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer Treadle Machine G series >
  • Singer Treadle Machine G series

• Singer Treadle Machine G series

Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 PM

I like your find.
    Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 AM

My husband cleaned the chrome on mine by soaking it with W-D40 and simple green and it shines like new. We found a front plate and belt by doing a google search-there's just about anything you need for it on-line. I have a Sphynx just like your's! The cabinet cleaned up nicely with just a little Formby's (though my neighbor, who does a lot of woodworking, said it would be cheaper and just as effective to use denatured alchohol). We polished the wood using Howard's Feed'n'Wax-was easy, clean and smelled good while I was working on it! We found the manual online, and for $5.00 we found a site that let us download a repair manual. Have fun!
    Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 AM

I just cleaned my rusted plates and parts by soaking in Brasso Metal cleaner...brand new...removed rust...
    Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 AM

Oh this looks exactly like the machine I bought yesterday, it's stuck in our car til we get to move into our new home and I can't wait to clean it up. I'm not sure what model mine is because I can't open it up til I get it out of the car. There were a bunch of sphinx models from what I saw on the internet so it could be a 27/28 or 127/128 and I think there was even a 15 version.

These are the links to a great cleaning tutorial on this forum.
    pt 1 - Disassembly - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm
    pt 2 - Cleaning - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm
    pt 3 - Finish Repair - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46696-1.htm

Refinishing old sewing machine cabinets http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97670-1.htm
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM

I don't think I would strip that finish...there alot of cleaners to use on wood and it should clean up good. lots of belts on ebay plus throat plates can be found. I would just shine her up and let her live in her original glory LOL
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 AM

[quote=Blinky]Hi!

I just brought this home and set it in the garage until I can get it cleaned up! It is a Singer G Series 1910. It is missing a belt, throat plate, etc. I wonder how to clean the chrome and the rest of the machine. I am going to refinish the wood. Probably need to find a manual so that I can see how it really works. I don't think it even has spool spindles for the thread.[/q

Beautiful!! It looks just like mine. It too was missing the throat plate, I found mine on line, check on ebay. If you google, vintage singer parts, I think you will be able to find the spindles and other parts. Good luck!
    Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM

I have its twin in my living room, and just got it all together and running smoothly. If you want to read more about this series, here is a site to check out:
    http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Singer...127#Production

Use the board tutorials by "lostin51" to get it in prime shape and you should enjoy it a lot. The bobbin shuttle he may have also, as he has parts and a bobbin, too, or list a request on the buy, sell section and someone else on the board may have one . Ebay has them also, but make sure you get the correct shuttle.
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 AM

I noticed your avatar!!! Is it the same machine??

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
    Gorgeous Machine and the decals look awesome. Hope you get her running real soon!
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Thank you..I bookmarked the site and will read it once I get back from being out of town! Can't wait to get the machine home to work on it!

Originally Posted by emmah
    I have its twin in my living room, and just got it all together and running smoothly. If you want to read more about this series, here is a site to check out:
    http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Singer...127#Production

Use the board tutorials by "lostin51" to get it in prime shape and you should enjoy it a lot. The bobbin shuttle he may have also, as he has parts and a bobbin, too, or list a request on the buy, sell section and someone else on the board may have one . Ebay has them also, but make sure you get the correct shuttle.
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I am going to look on ebay but worried I won't get the right one so will have to do some research first. It looks like it is also missing the shuttle....thanks!

[quote=susanwilley]
    Originally Posted by Blinky
    Hi!

I just brought this home and set it in the garage until I can get it cleaned up! It is a Singer G Series 1910. It is missing a belt, throat plate, etc. I wonder how to clean the chrome and the rest of the machine. I am going to refinish the wood. Probably need to find a manual so that I can see how it really works. I don't think it even has spool spindles for the thread.[/q

Beautiful!! It looks just like mine. It too was missing the throat plate, I found mine on line, check on ebay. If you google, vintage singer parts, I think you will be able to find the spindles and other parts. Good luck!