Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
single or double...binding strips >

single or double...binding strips

single or double...binding strips

Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Since I took that seminar with Kaffe Fassett and Liza prior Lucy, they recommend 1.5 for binding. It makes a tight narrow binding that doesn't detract from the quilt and wears better they say. I really like how it looks.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Wait until you can make it a double.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

hmmm, cut another fabric 1.5 and sew together and make a two sided binding perhaps.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Do you happen to have enough to make another 1 1/2 inch strip? I have made the same mistake and what I ended up doing is sewing two together and then making my binding 2 1/4 inches wide and when I fold it I make sure the seam is on the inside part of the fold and on the bottom or backside that way it isn't seen and you really have to be feeling for it to know that it is there.
This is what I would do too. I personally think all quilts need a double binding unless they're intended as heirlooms and are only for display. For a "loved" quilt, a double binding would be better.
And the additional strip doesn't even have to be the same fabric. Any fabric will do, and you would just make sure that fabric is on the inside when you fold the binding over to the back of the quilt. You'll just end up with a little narrower binding than usual, but can still use what you've already cut.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Since I took that seminar with Kaffe Fassett and Liza prior Lucy, they recommend 1.5 for binding. It makes a tight narrow binding that doesn't detract from the quilt and wears better they say. I really like how it looks.
So, fold it over just like normal, but then sew it on how wide? I can't imagine sewing such a thin line :).
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Are there any pics of this "skinnier" binding or tutorials for idiots (me) who don't completely understand what you are talking about?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
Are there any pics of this "skinnier" binding or tutorials for idiots (me) who don't completely understand what you are talking about?
I am sure you are no idiot. I "understand" the skinnier binding, just not sure HOW skinny!!! LOL.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm not sure just how this was done, but I read a while back that someone did the same thing with no extra fabric. That person took another strip wide enough (with seam allowance, of course) to sew to the original binding strip to make it wide enough for double binding. She said she loved the look--it looked like she had added piping around the quilt before it was bound! I guess it would depend on the colors used. But I would suggest if the binding is print, then use a complimentary solid color for the extra fabric. Also, I suggest that the added fabric strip would be on bottom of the folded binding strip that is sewn to the front of the quilt before turning to the back so it shows up on the front of the quilt. Guess it wouldn't matter. But that lady said she loved the look so much she was going to add it to other bindings in the future!! Just add a little piece to a little piece of the binding and "audition" it first before doing the whole binding. And, do let us know what you think if you try this trick!