Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down machines >

Sit down machines

Sit down machines

Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions. I like the idea of attending one of the big shows and test driving all of them. Plus, I love attending the big shows. It's such a CANDY STORE!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thats_It_I_Quilt View Post
I know that in quilting with the Baby Lock Tiara that just came into my life, card tables work great for each side... but what I really have to do is modify the table to have extra space in the front. Anybody else find that lack of front space to be a problem when facing the needle?
Lots of people in that yahoo group I mentioned have added a front extension to their machine. It hasn't been a problem for me, and I wonder if it has to do with the length of our arms. I have very short arms, so I'm sitting very close to the table front.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thats_It_I_Quilt View Post
I know that in quilting with the Baby Lock Tiara that just came into my life, card tables work great for each side... but what I really have to do is modify the table to have extra space in the front. Anybody else find that lack of front space to be a problem when facing the needle?
Yes, I had seen it suggested I think on the yahoo group forum for the HQ Sweet 16 and had my husband add a piece to the front of my Sweet 16 table. We bought a piece of prefinished with melamine particle board from Home Depot and cut it down to a depth of 6 inches X the width of the table. Here are pictures of my table. Sorry I just quickly took them with my iPad so the quality is pretty poor, but I think you will get the gist of it. It makes it easier to keep the quilt on the table when it's bunched in front of you and ruler work way easier.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 AM

I love my Babylock Tiara II. It came with a 30"d x 36"w table, and 2 optional side tables 18"w each are available. I chose not to get the side tables. Because of the way my sewing room is arranged I could only add 12" on the left which I did with a storage unit I made. The 12" addition is plenty for most of the quilts I make. The tables are adjustable height also, but the machine is heavy so frequently changing the height would not be an easy job. I am short so I had it set at the next to the lowest when it was delivered. There are no feed dogs but I have done straight line SID, which I am not very good at yet. For me, bobbin tension was an issue when trying to do straight lines. I found the bobbin thread trying to act as a gathering stitch. I bought my machine on sale at end of model year pricing, and have not regretted it at all. I probably would not have bought without DH encouragement, but I am so-o-o-o-o glad I did.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
Yes, I had seen it suggested I think on the yahoo group forum for the HQ Sweet 16 and had my husband add a piece to the front of my Sweet 16 table. We bought a piece of prefinished with melamine particle board from Home Depot and cut it down to a depth of 6 inches X the width of the table. Here are pictures of my table. Sorry I just quickly took them with my iPad so the quality is pretty poor, but I think you will get the gist of it. It makes it easier to keep the quilt on the table when it's bunched in front of you and ruler work way easier.
How do you keep from falling out of your chair? It must be hard to quilt upside down.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
How do you keep from falling out of your chair? It must be hard to quilt upside down.
I'm guessing the pictures are upside down on your screen? They are right side up on mine! Not sure what causes that. Or I could reply and just tell you that I use my super quilty powers to quilt upside down
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM

I have the Baby Lock Tiara. Love the machine. I only trouble I have had is with the tension, but the new ones, including the Sweet Sixteen, are easier the set. I too have a small space so I added a small desk table on each side of my machine and the trio of tables butt up to the wall. I have quilted an over size king quilt without any problem. It's a treat to be able to finish a quilt that you did start to finish, thanks to a sit down machine. Good luck with your choice. My only recommendation would be to buy the machine from a dealer near your home so you can have the service close if you need it.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 AM

I recently bought the Bernina Q-20 sitdown. It comes with a Koala table with two extensions as part of the package. The reasons I selected this model are the built-in stitch regulator sensor in the base of the machine, it uses standard Bernina feet, and regular sewing machine needles, is easy to thread, and has a built-in bobbin winder. Since I already own Berninas, the learning curve on how to use the machine has been easy. I haven't done much with it yet, since I've only had it set up for a few weeks, but I plan to use the heck out of it soon since I'll be retiring (this was my retirement gift to myself!) Yes, it has no feed dogs, but I have other machines to do that - I got tired of stuffing larger quilts into my Bernina 750QE. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM

All of these machines sound wonderful, but the prices! The Juki TL2200QVP costs as much as a good, used car...almost $9k! I don't see one of those in my future anytime soon...I'm totally envious though.

~ Cindy
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM

to nvrxgal, the (Bernina Q20) seems to be my choice, due to hubby. I had a mid arm and just wasn't any good at standing there and quilting/stippling/etc. - I basically "stunk" at this endeavor.
So I decided that maybe I could do quilting with those special rulers. While I was looking at the rulers hubby was looking at the Bernina Q20 and said that he thought I should get that machine. Who am I to say no to an offer like that.......
We have to order it since he wants the table to match the other furniture in my new sewing room.
I am anxiously waiting and have been buying books on actual "quilting"
Does anyone have any suggestions on doing ruler work?
karensue