Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Size for an I Spy quilt >

Size for an I Spy quilt

Size for an I Spy quilt

Old 02-17-2024, 04:28 AM

Default Size for an I Spy quilt

I'm also making an I Spy quilt for my cousin's great-grandson. It's for his second birthday. I'm debating the size, still. It's going to finish at about 38 X 45 like it is. That's kind of small, but he's just 2. If it's bigger than that, he can't drag it around.

But, will it be too small when he gets older/bigger? I have plenty of supplies, so I can make it any size.

I can't seem to decide. However, I want to finish it this weekend. So, it's decision time.

bkay
Old 02-17-2024, 05:13 AM

I think you are thinking in the right direction when considering making your birthday quilt a bit larger. In one year this child will have grown taller between 8 to 10 inches in height and gained 10 pounds in weight. In other words, he is growing fast. The play of a child also changes and in the next year too, So a quilt will likely be used for much more than a "drag-around" quilt. I would make the quilt to measure about 60" at its longest direction, aka a small throw, size so it can be used on his "big boy" bed, nap quilt, travel pal and may be a tent but mostly as a dear friend for snuggling. No matter the size, a snuggle quilt is sweet gift for a child that may just capture their heart and become a life long friend.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-17-2024 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:49 AM

I have to agree with WMUTeach. I would lean towards a youth bed size, which could continue to be loved well after toddler-hood. Which reminds me--I have a bunch of I Spy blocks from a swap and really should do something with them.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:40 AM

Twin size would be too large for this youngster but I did make a twin (no batting, fleece back). It had 2 squares of every print & added a label on the back explaining the identical squares could be found. Our church sponsored a Ukrainian family and quilt was for their young son to help learn English.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:26 AM

I think I made mine about 40X60. Yep on the biggie size, but then they can use them to put on the floor and crawl around on, and to cover up with as they grow, and to make forts with and to keep with them in their teens and beyond as a lap quilt. My niece and are in their teens and still are using them.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:21 PM

I'm a bit late to this conversation but my I Spy quilts generally finish up at about 42x54 or thereabouts. It seems to be a decent size to grow with a baby through toddlerhood and the width means I can generally squeak by without having to piece my backing. :-)
Old 02-25-2024, 05:14 AM

I made one for my great granddaughter, it is 40x45. She is 3 and loves it, it's big enough for her to snuggle with. It's small enough for her to grab it a take it everywhere she goes. She loves to take it in the car with her, to her grandma's house and she takes it to the doctors office. I think it's become her security blanket.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:35 AM

The top finished at 44 X 56. I had an extra row of charms, but it just looked too long to me. It's still on the wall. I may sandwich it today (my most unfavorite quilting job).

I'd like to have it finished by March 7, which is our bi-monthly cousin's lunch.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-25-2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

You could make a matching/ coordinating doll/ stuffed toy blanket or a pillow case/ sham that would be easy to drag around.