Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The size of your fabric prints >

The size of your fabric prints

The size of your fabric prints

Old 01-30-2023, 04:52 AM

Default The size of your fabric prints

While going through my fabric to cut some 2 1/2" strips, it came to mind that almost all my fabric is small print designs. I have very little large prints at all. I can see a larger print as a focal design in a quilt, or maybe a backing, but otherwise is smaller better? Makes me wonder what size everyone else prefers.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:32 AM

As in all good design features, a mixture of small, medium, and large prints gives great balance. However, we each have our taste in quilts, don't we. Modern quilts often feature large areas of solid and large pieces ( where large prints are perfect)...such as the BQ series by Maple Is. Then there are the Bonnie
Hunter fans who use pieces cut very small. Even though large prints can be cut to size, only the colour would register in a tiny piece of one. I find that novelty prints are usually large, and l like fussy cutting elements of those. When l purchase fabric, it's all about colour...the design is almost secondary. Different strokes for different folks 🙂
Old 01-30-2023, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't have many small prints anymore but I guess I'm like stitch- it's mostly about color for me.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

A fabric line with big prints usually has companion fabrics in the same line to coordinate. Since I rarely buy a whole line of fabrics, I usually don’t buy big prints. But…I will sometimes buy a big print and use it to cut small pieces from different locations. This can give you several different looking pieces from one print.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:48 AM

I like the small prints, I like civil war era, 1930's etc. type. But I also like some large print fabric. But only if it is an all over design with no background. In other words, I don't like the big print fabric that has for example a large flower that has a large area of plain background.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I have all of the sizes in my stash. I like to make purses and other craft projects, So the larger prints accommodate that easily. I also feel some larger prints are good for backgrounds if they are an open scroll design. I am adventurous in design, I suppose.