Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skill level of Bargello? >

Skill level of Bargello?

Skill level of Bargello?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM

I learned to make my first bargello from a book. It was fun. As has been mentioned many times, the fabric choice is the most difficult part. Small prints and marbled fabrics matching the colors of a focus fabric are the easiest way to start your color run! I usually end up with several extra fabrics which do not fit. Getting help from your LQS is better than my method of buying fabrics here and there hoping they'll match. Give it a try!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM

I found the pattern for the Bargello Flag. It is called "Old Glory" It says that Crafting Traditions subscribers had a contest. This pattern was a winner. I wish I had more info for you. I don't know how to get the pattern to you. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM

I sewed my lonestar by hand at work while doing computer backups. I'll post a pic when I have time to get it out.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by gus
I'm in love with Bargello and they are a lot easier than they look.picture of my first
Very nice Gus. But technically speaking, that is not Bargello. That is Evelyn Sloppy's 'Entwined', and consists of 3 different blocks, placed in mirrored patterns. Bargello is built using strips that are rotated.

BUT! let me repeat... beautiful quilt, and not as easy as it might seem. Ask me how I know. I was about halfway through one, put it away for a year or so, then when I pulled it out again, there was another fabric in some of the strip sets. I have no idea what I was thinking.

tim in san jose
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by momski
I have a gift card from last year's B-day that I have been saving for "something special." Well, my LQS is having a class on Elieen Wright's Cosmic Twist pattern from her book "Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts." I love the look of bargello quilts and want to try one.

http://www.satin-moon.com/store/product3672.html

My LQS lists the skill level as advanced beginner. I am hesitant to sign up because the last class I took that they listed as advanced beginner was a very complicated Lone Star, which has sadly become the UFO I am most likely not to pick up again anytime soon. What do you think?

I haven't done a bargello yet but read instructions over and over...the only thing I see is that you have to be in order...the cutting should be ok...just have to keep the fabric in order
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM

I am currently piecing the Surf Song from that same book, and as long as you label everything and follow the directions you can complete the quilt. It just needs concentration and organization. I have not made a quilt in about 20 years and am half way through the piecing. The tip about the color viewer is a good one, I had help picking my fabrics from the staff at my LQS and I am doing it in batiks (blues and teals)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Hi. Bargello is easier than Lone Star without doubt. have made several bargello of different patterns but gave up on Lone Star. You go girl Bargello is addictive!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 PM

JUST GO FOR IT! I haven't done one yet either,but willing to try with all the help this board gives to everyone. Just take your time and relax. good luck
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone. I started the class today and whole color theory! But it's been well worth it. Keep an eye out for an upcoming photo of my fabric selection.