Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sky high!! >

sky high!!

sky high!!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Omg, just saw the price of McCalls quilters trip to Ireland, $ 3,455!!! And thats just for 6 days!! Robbery!!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Way too much. The one's I like are sold out before I see the adds. Economy is so bad, who can afford this?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 AM

I have looked into it too. Any trip or cruise that has quilting involved is very expensive! Can't understand it. A trip or cruise without quilting is much less. These places will supply machines so you don't have to bring your own. But I do think you have to bring your supplies. Regardless there very expensive! And people are spending the money. Not me!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by deirdre ann
Omg, just saw the price of McCalls quilters trip to Ireland, $ 3,455!!! And thats just for 6 days!! Robbery!!
It should cost you that much, you're already there! LOL

The cost of these things is outrageous. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't. I can't think of anything worse than being trapped on a ship and having forgotten something I needed to sew with. Besides that, you have to sew on a machine that you're not familiar with and they're probably going to try to sell you one, I would assume that they'd have some vendors onboard so that you could buy whatever you needed---at an equally outrageous price, but it seems to me to be a huge waste of money.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that IS alot! I do someday want to see Ireland, but like Raptureready said, that isnt the cheapest way to do it for sure. LOL, plus I dont think I could sit at sea long, I'd be seasick!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 AM

It's $2775 without airfare... still way too much money! It's no wonder we call it Rip-Off Ireland. For that price I'd have thought they would be staying at the Merrion Hotel or something!

Obviously they wrote this a long time ago - "(Dublin) It is a very young and dynamic city in the process of undergoing an economic boom. Adored by its people and visitors alike, Dublin has everything a capital needs: a multitude of interesting sights and unforgettable cultural experiences." Uh huh. Did they not notice the recession? The rising numbers of beggars? I hope the tour will point out areas to avoid, like the boardwalk along the Liffey beloved of the junkies!

I especially love the bit about having time one afternoon to visit a fabric store. Wow, are they going to be disappointed with what's on offer here!! Although perhaps the "reception with local quilters" will set them straight.

Now that I've picked myself up of the floor, thank you for giving me a great laugh!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I'd love to go to Ireland but not as part of a cruise or quilting adventure. Just want to see that beautiful country!! :D
Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 AM

i would like to take a cruse, but not at those prices. That is highway robbery. They had better be letting you keep the machine you will be using and supply all of your quilting needs for free. I would love to visit Ireland also. See some of the beautiful landscapes. And I love to hear the accents and language.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 AM

Have never been to Ireland, so don't know much about how the recession has hit them. But after reading about the trip, I really don't think that the $3475 is outrageous, if you want this experience. When you break it down with what they say you will get, it doesn't seem that bad, considering how many people have their fingers in the pot!!!! Everyone has to get a part of the action.

Round-trip international airfare (JFK - Dublin)
6 nights deluxe hotel accommodations
All breakfasts, along with 4 lunches and 2 dinners
Private motor coach transportation
All entrance fees to museums and events as described in the itinerary.

Well, there is an additional charge of getting to JFK!!!!! And if you want a single room, it is $600 more.

It is being hosted by Carol Doak, and would imagine she doesn't come cheap.

But...I know how some of this goes. The hotel isn't exactly a deluxe one, there will be additional "hidden" costs. Well, it is too pricey for me, with too many unknowns. So, by the time you pay for everything that isn't mentioned, this could be a VERY pricey trip. I wonder how this would (money wise) break down if you did this trip on your own.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Pat Sloan and Bonnie Hunter are hosting a 9 day cruise and it's under $2000. Nov 11, 2011. It will be booked fast. Here is a link:
http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/tours/caribbean_1111.html