Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM

OUCH! I hope it is feeling a little better and starting to heal!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM

that is a nasty cut! am not surprised it is still throbbing, especially with where it is... cuts that go in at an angel do tend to hurt long, don't know why... and if you keep using it, that deosn't help, but it should heal up on its own, especially with the care you are giving it... just take it easy for a while
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM

Ok, Look no further if you're squeamish! I did the exact same thing last May. Luckily for me a doctor lives next door. He came over and when he unwrapped the paper towels from it, I fainted. I woke up on the kitchen floor. A wound nurse lives on the other side. She taught me how to take care of it and it healed fine. It feels different on the end but there's nothing I can do about that. But this is what I did to protect it until it healed. I took an empty paper towel core and cut it to fit the end of my finger. I wrapped that with gauze and tape. It kept me from knocking or hitting it. Ok, now for the pictures. Close your eyes and pass them by if you're squeamish.
Attached Thumbnails p1010673.jpg   p1010674.jpg   p1010679.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM

just reading this makes me feel sick to the stomach , then the picture! well it must be painful. They make special gloves
Fones and porter. they do help. hope it doesn't take to long to heal.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM

I did this about a year and a half ago. Cut about 1/2 inch long and a into my finger about a eighth of an inch. Still bothers me at times. It's healed, but I have an occasional throb and really watch the rotary cutter now. Never had an infection, never seen the doctor.

Joan
Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 PM

I went right out and bought the plastic shield that goes along the side of the 24" ruler.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM

I did the very same thing Wednesday and it was the same finger. When I first did it I got really sick to my stomach and by the time I got to the bathroom blood was running down my hand. Put some pressure on it, Neosporin and 6 bandaids before it would quit bleeding. After I got the bleeding stopped then I wondered if I'd gotten blood on my fabric. Thankfully there wasn't any. Whew!! I'm also cleaning mine with Peroxide and keeping the Neosporin on it. I'm sure it could have used a couple of stitches but my insurance doesn't pay much and didn't want to put out the money. I know what you mean about hitting it on everything possible. It's going to be sore for several days and as long as we keep it clean we'll be ok.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM

I am so sorry for the problem. They make a klutz glove to use, I have one somewhere but forget where I put it. Maybe I should start using it.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Oh my Sweetpeaches!!! I do believe you took more off your finger than I took off mine. Those rotary cutters - definitely can cause a lot of damage. Haven't decided on the gypsy things or the Rule Steady. But going to get something.

It was like some type of miracle healing took place overnight, because today was much better than yesterday. Still going to be babying it for awhile, keeping it clean and in a bandaid. Jabbed myself with my seam ripper though and drew blood. I decided it might not be a bad idea to re-do my tetanus shot at my doctor's appointment in March.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

I don't think you're supposed to use peroxide on these cuts. It's ok the first or second day, but after that I'm pretty sure the wound care nurse told me not to. There was a reason too. I just can't remember what it was. If you get a chance, ask a wound care nurse.. not a doctor, how to treat it.