Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider for FMQ >

Slider for FMQ

Slider for FMQ

Old 08-17-2023, 12:40 PM

Default Slider for FMQ

I'm starting out on ruler quilting. So far, it's been one step forward and two steps back.

I need a slider of some sort. I was practicing on a sample and doing fine. However, I'm not doing so well on my quilt.

What do you use?

bkay
Old 08-17-2023, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I use a Supreme Slider. It's pricey but well worth it to me. I've tried cheaper products but they haven't compared for me.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:52 PM

I use the Sew Steady Slider Mat -- I purchased a couple after I found out I liked it for ruler quilting and I'm still using the same one three years later doing free motion and ruler quilting. I haven't even opened the second one yet.

I rinse it off with water to get the fuzzies off the back, if there are any after I'm done with my entire quilt and then put it away for next time.

An added note: using quilting gloves also is a big help when you are ruler or free motion quilting. I use these: Machingers Quilting Gloves

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-17-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:30 PM

I used Machinger's Gloves. They're a must for me. I don't use a slider. I have my Juki in a SewEasy table and I just wax the top a few times a year. It really helps with movement.

I've been working on a king size quilt and something I have learned is to stop and lift the quilt every few minutes. It helps to keep it from hanging up and make movement easier.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:41 PM

I don't understand what the grid is used for. Doesn't the quilt cover it up?
Old 08-17-2023, 06:14 PM

I use the Teflon oven liners soooooo much cheaper than the supreme slider. I do have to tape the oven liner down with painters tape but it is worth it to me. I have the sew steady mat, the supreme slider and the oven mat. I choose the oven mat and of course the Machinger gloves. THIS IS MY HUMBLE OPINION.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:13 PM

Talking

Another vote for Machinger Gloves. I use a dollar store placemat with a hole cut in it.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:38 AM

I have begun to wear my Machingers for handling the quilt as it gets bigger and even when I am putting on binding. It helps me move the bulk of the quilt easier as needed.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:02 AM

I have quilting gloves and they are a big help even if you aren't doing FMQ or ruler quilting. They are Fons and Porter, as that is all JoAnn's had and of course, I wanted them right now. They are getting a little worn.

I bought a silicone baking mat this morning at the restaurant supply. We'll see how it works. I'll still probably buy one off Amazon, but I didn't want to wait 4 days for free shipping and I'm too cheap to buy Prime. I'll let you know if it works.

bk
Old 08-18-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I don't understand what the grid is used for. Doesn't the quilt cover it up?
I've never needed the grid to do my quilting. Maybe it is there for a purpose, but none that I have seen.