Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slipcovers...a Twofer >

Slipcovers...a Twofer

Slipcovers...a Twofer

Old 12-30-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Slipcovers...a Twofer

About 3, or 4 years ago, I made a slipcover for our loveseat. It came out beautiful, but it's already time to redo it. It was a made from a turquoise and brown toile print with forest and deer scenes on it. I loved it, but we had to wash it so often that it faded badly and now has a few ripped seams from taking it on and off so often.

This time I'm using stone washed canvas. I think that it will wear better that the cotton toile did. I found two colors that I really liked, a rich brown and a soft blue. They were having a big sale at Big Duck Canvas, plus I had a coupon. I couldn't decide which color I liked best and they were so inexpensive, so I bought them both and will now switch back and forth. Of course, now I have to make two sets. I have a pattern from the toile cover, so I think that they will go quickly...I hope.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:59 PM

Where did you learn to make slipcovers? It is something I always wanted to learn how to do mostly because I like the look of them. I can do regular upholstery but that to me is easy because you just copy the pieces and construction. Unless I already had a slipcover, I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 PM

years ago i made a quilted cover for my ottoman. reversible. i sewed the corners and just folded them and put the cover on. when i wanted to change it, i clipped the stitches for the corners out and turned it over and sewed the corners down again so they would then be on the inside for that fabric.. Not optimal for your fabric but worked for me.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by deborahscanlon View Post
Where did you learn to make slipcovers? It is something I always wanted to learn how to do mostly because I like the look of them. I can do regular upholstery but that to me is easy because you just copy the pieces and construction. Unless I already had a slipcover, I wouldn't know where to start.
I've made slipcovers before. I draped the fabric, upside down, on the furniture and pinned where any pleats/gathers would go. Marked seams with a pen or chalk i sewed as I went. Drape, pin, sew, etc. Cushions are fairly easy. Take measurements, cut out by the measurements and then sew. There are books, and probably free online "patterns" that would be helpfull.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:34 AM

I taught myself. I was surprised that it wasn't that hard, actually. I've made several slipcovers for couches and chairs over the ages. I pretty much did what Sharongn did...lots of draping and pinning. I cut it extra large to have some leeway when piecing and also for possible shrinkage. I use chalk, or wash-away markers to draw around the cushions. If you are working with a print, you have to be mindful of where it is placed on the fabric and that it is going the right direction. The same goes for napped fabrics s/a velvet. Be sure to make it on the roomy side, because there will be some shrinkage, even if you wash the fabric several times in advance. I like to use piping on mine to give them a finished look.

I have started on upholstery projects, but never finished any of them. That's a new thing for me and very different from slipcovers. I have some books and a tool kit for upholstery and plenty of old chairs to work on. I think I'll try my hand at it this summer, when the weather is nice and I have room on the porch to work.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 AM

I can redo cushions but never tried a chair or sofa. Someone gave me large rolls of fabric, they came from a drapery/upholstery manufacturer and they are heavy enough for slipcovers although not what I would purchase but perfect for practicing. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Thank you. Upholstery is easy other than removing old staples and at times getting things stapled back on depending on the wood. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 AM

You have my idea juices flowing. You made me remember that years ago I recovered just the seat of a recliner. I was fortunate at the time to find the exact fabric. Now, my couch, which I love, is in need of a 3 cushion redo. Unfortunately, it is 20+ years old, so I hold no hope of finding the same fabric. It has a directional green, burgundy and tan stripe, with a brocade beige background. Ideas swirling...not sure if any are viable!
Old 12-31-2020, 12:17 PM

Here's a tutorial from 2012 by AnitaSt from the Quilting Board. I saved & printed it in because I was wanting to make something like that for DH's recliner. Well, I never made his recliner cover but hope to some day.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Tutorial%20for%20Quilted%20Recliner%20Slipcover-1.pdf

If that above tutorial does not work you can scroll down to post #14 to get it from here:
Quilted Recliner Slipcover Tutorial - pdf at post #14

Last edited by osewme; 12-31-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:12 PM

That isn't what I was picturing but I really like the looks of that. Would work great on a sofa too. Much easier than what I was thinking of. Thank you so much for finding the tutorial and sharing it. I appreciate it.